[News] [Rival] Vapourware and 'Green' Dreams from Forced Upgrade Extraordinaire

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Vapourware and 'Green' Dreams from Forced Upgrade Extraordinaire
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 03:30:36 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
It’s not easy being green, but everyone’s trying

,----[ Quote ]
| Ballmer captured the attention of the big crowd by claiming that Microsoft is
| now an environmental convert, studiously looking for ways it can help users
| of technology reduce their power consumption.
|
| [...]
|
| My point is this: Just because an IT company declares itself ‘green’ doesn’t
| mean you should drag out the cheque book and start spending. You can expect
| virtually every technology company to start spruiking its eco-credentials
| during the coming months, if it hasn’t started already.
`----

http://www.hydrapinion.com/index.php/work/2008/03/10/it_s_not_easy_being_green_but_everyone_s

Microsoft even tries to describe Vista as green. They just can't help lying.
There is another such attempt at sentimental backmail which they do with Dell
(RED, using AIDS to sell Vista).

Steve Souders asks: "How green is your web page?"

,----[ Quote ]
| Writing faster web pages is great for your users, which in turn is great for
| you and your company. But it’s better for everyone else on the planet, too.
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2008/03/how-green-is-your-website-steve-souders.html

Related:

Vista poses environmental dangers

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Vista could have serious environmental implications,
| experts have warned.
|
| The latest version of Windows uses encryption methods that are
| incompatible with some older PCs. It also features high-end
| graphics capabilities that can only run on newer hardware.
`----

http://www.computing.co.uk/computing/news/2174400/vista-poses-environmental

Greenpeace: Vista could trigger a deluge of electronic waste

,----[ Quote ]
| Beau Baconguis of the Southeast Asia section of the environmental
| protection organization Greenpeace has warned that the introduction
| by Microsoft of its new operating system Windows Vista might as a
| side effect trigger a deluge of electronic waste (E-waste). "With
| Vista, Microsoft could effectively hasten the obsolesence of half
| the world's PCs, especially in the absence of fully-functioning
| global take back systems for PCs," Ms. Baconguis declared.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/84816/from/rss09

Vista gets slated - by the Greens

,----[ Quote ]
| The Green Party has slammed Microsoft and it's forthcoming operating
| system, Windows Vista, in a withering attack on the company's "monopoly".
|
| Microsoft not only takes criticism for allegedly environmentally
| unfriendly policies, but for attacking civil liberties.
|
| The party claims that "Vista gives Microsoft the ability to lock
| you out of your computer," and that "Microsoft are determined not
| to play fair" in the video content market.
`----

http://www.webuser.co.uk/news/news.php?id=107813

Use GNU/Linux and help save the planet

,----[ Quote ]
| Are Windows users, not by choice, the worst polluters of the planet
| relative to GNU/Linux? Well, not intentionally but the lifecycle of
| a machine running Windows must be shorter than that of a
| conscientious Linux user who can prevent that old 400MHZ Celeron PC
| with 128MBs of memory gathering dust in the corner from heading for
| the scrapheap.
|
| [...]
|
| The Chinese have a saying: the journey of a thousand miles begins
| with the first step. Reusing a puffing and wheezing old computer
| by installing a minimal GNU/Linux distro and staving off the day
| when it trudges forlornly to the scrapheap is at least a baby step
| in the right direction.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/use_gnu_linux_and_help_save_the_planet

Computers in schools are an environmental time-bomb

,----[ Quote ]
| Schools are using computers as room
| heaters which then need to be cooled using expensive air conditioning
| and Modern thin-client networks could reverse this trend and are
| available from the Open Source community and vendors of proprietary
| software today.
`----

http://opensourceblog.itproportal.com/?p=213

Report: Linux, open source greener than Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| A new report from the U.K. Office of Government Commerce about Open
| Source Software Trials in Government, has found that servers running
| Linux could combat the rising problem of e-waste because they last
| up to twice as long as machines running Windows.
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1246762,00.html?track=sy184
http://tinyurl.com/38cge3

Is 'green' software possible?

,----[ Quote ]
| He suggests using software such as Puppy Linux, a low resource version of
| Linux, and Portable Apps, a service-based approach to delivering
| applications.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/07/21/green_software_possibility/

16,000 Linux computers delivered - for free

,----[ Quote ]