[News] Console Patented as Phone, Abacus Patented as Calculator?

  • Subject: [News] Console Patented as Phone, Abacus Patented as Calculator?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 16:03:27 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Fresh 'PSP phone' patent surfaces

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony has long denied rumours that it's working on a PlayStation Portable
| (PSP) phone, but the company has lots of explaining to do now that a new Sony
| Ericsson patent application has come to light detailing just such a device.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/03/07/psp_sony_ericsson_patent/

Bilski: Much Ado About (almost) Nothing

,----[  ]
| Since then, both the patent law community (see, e.g., here, here and here)
| and the mainstream media (e.g., here and here) have been all atwitter about
| the possibility of a major shift in patent law and the possible end of
| business method or software patents (or both). While the excitement is
| understandable, in this case I think it’s misplaced.
|
| [...]
|
| Using that distinction, even if the Federal Circuit (contrary to statute)
| completely eliminates protection for process patents, clever attorneys can
| still get their “business method” patents past the 101 hurdle by casting them
| in the form of machines that manipulate data. Indeed, even Amazon’s
| notorious “1-Click” patent includes claims directed to machines, rather than
| being limited to process claims.
|
| [Comment from zoobab:]
|
| Data processing with a pen and paper is not patentable.
|
| Why do you argue that Data processing with a calculator is patentable?
`----

http://www.patentbaristas.com/archives/2008/03/06/bilski-much-ado-about-almost-nothing/

Somebody. Somewhere. Please. Shut down the USPTO already.

There's already a patent for "JPEG on a Web page" and the smiley. What on
earth...?

Related:

USPTO Increases Scope Of Amazon's 1-Click Patent

,----[ Quote ]