Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Makes Low-cost Laptops Impractical (Linux Wins)

____/ Stephan Rose on Saturday 08 March 2008 06:27 : \____

> On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 22:53:25 -0500, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 03:26:56 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>

>>> Some say that Microsoft might have no choice but to 'fork' XP, as in
>>> have two routes for it -- a broken one (Vista) and a maintenance
>>> release like SP3. In any event, Linux keeps evolving very quickly. Most
>>> Microsoft customers are still stuck with an O/S from the days I was a
>>> teenager.
>>
>> So?
>>
>> What effect does this have on the Linux community?
>>
>> You have had your chance with Windows ME which was a disaster. Then you
>> had Windows XP which didn't get updated for like 8 years or something?
>> Now you have your chance with Windows Vista.
>>
>> See a pattern here?
>>
>> I doubt it.
>>
>> The truth is Linux, despite being free, is still well below 1.0 percent
>> of the desktop market while OSX is climbing.
>>
>> Why is that?
>>
>> Why can't a free operating system gain market share?
>
> Because people in the Market do not install or buy operating systems.
> They buy "a computer" and use whatever comes on it. Most people are
> completely oblivious as to what the it is they are actually using. As
> long as they can click a little pretty button and their pictures come up
> or their music plays they are happy. They don't care about how or why
> this happens nor would most ever be able to even comprehend.
>
> The people that actually install their own operating systems, be that
> windows or linux, are a mere fraction and not nearly enough to tip any
> scale in any direction on either end.
>
> The only way *any* operating system is ever going to displace windows any
> significant amount is by massive pre-installed distribution through the
> retail channels.

The installbase of Linux is far greater than 1%.
http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3687616

Microsoft keeps harping about the old FUD, selectively quoting figures from
niche sites. Ballmer said last week that Linux is Microsoft's #1 threat.

Trolls, response? #1 thread, no? Ask your boss, Ballmer.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | http://debian.org
Cpu(s): 25.9%us,  4.0%sy,  1.0%ni, 64.5%id,  4.2%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.1%si,  0.0%st