Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Makes Low-cost Laptops Impractical (Linux Wins)

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> EeePC 900 vs HP 2133: Which Linux UMPC Will You Buy?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Of note with both machines is that Microsoft still currently plans to
> | stop selling Windows XP to OEMs and Retail customers June 30, 2008.

I think for the EU, the EU regulators must step in to defend against
these new kinds of monopoly abuse whereby a monopoly randomly drops support
for its previous product leaving the entire community of software
developers and those who invested BILLIONs of dollars in product
development see their investment vaporizing.

The EU should force micoshaft to open source ALL API calls into the
monopoly OS so that clean room open source versions of windummy OSen
can be built to PROTECT EU's BILLIONS of dollars of investment.
The EU must extract from micoshaft not to impose charges for use
of abandoned API and clean room versions of software that implement the API.

Otherwise, the EU will be hit with a massive productivity loss and
repatriation and diversion of funds to pro-micoshaft companies that have
been building flawed products that rely on choking off XP to make
customers switch to these flawed products. Its a massive loss for EU
businesses at home and abroad - some 1 TRILLION+ euro worth of business
over the next decade that is about to be lost to companies outside the EU.
The EU regulators are as always asleep drunk on tax payer money and unable
to see new forms of high tech monopoly abuse being sneaked passed in front
of their own eyes.