[News] Jim Zemlin on Microsoft's Demise, the Rise of GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] Jim Zemlin on Microsoft's Demise, the Rise of GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 14:44:58 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Ballmer Could Learn a Lesson from Jonathan Schwartz

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft can always try to reverse this trend by reducing their prices.
| Coincidently this is something they just announced. The problem for Microsoft
| however is not just a matter of lowering costs it is a matter of who profits
| from a PC. The numbers are clear. Microsoft has profit margins in the 30%
| range. Intel, the guys who sell the chip are in the 15% range while companies
| like Dell, Asus, Acer, and others are down in the 5% range. Something is
| fundamentally wrong. One company is making
|
| [...]
|
| We’ve seen this story before and we know how it ends. Perhaps Microsoft can
| learn a lesson from history and Sun Microsystems. The lesson is not to wait.
| If Sun had open sourced Solaris and enabled its adoption on other
| architectures sooner it may have prevented the rise of Linux. Unfortunately
| for Microsoft it may be too little too late and the reality that monopolies
| can’t last forever.
`----

http://www.linux-foundation.org/weblogs/jzemlin/2008/03/06/ballmer-could-learn-a-lesson-from-jonathan-schwartz/

Ballmer must be going bananas. Zemlin began blogging very actively for the
first time a couple of days ago.

"Fucking Eric Schmidt is a fucking pussy. I’m going to fucking bury that guy, I
have done it before, and I will do it again. I’m going to fucking kill Google."

                                        --Steve Ballmer, Microsoft CEO

Last week:

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

| you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

This week:

Steve Ballmer's Nine Year Retirement Plan

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill Gates is retiring from Microsoft this year and the exec he left in
| charge, Steve Ballmer, is ready to leave in nine years.
`----

http://blogs.eweek.com/cebit/content/cebit/steve_ballmers_nine_year_retirement_plan.html

Microsoft CEO says catching Google is goal

,----[ Quote ]

http://www.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idUSN0653295920080306