[News] Replication Hardware Runs GNU/Linux, AMD Back in the Groove

  • Subject: [News] Replication Hardware Runs GNU/Linux, AMD Back in the Groove
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 14:23:11 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
RepRap: An open-source 3D printer for the masses

,----[ Quote ]
| Software development for RepRap was done using Linux, and all of the
| project's software and hardware components fall under the GNU General Public
| License, meaning the design specifications are free for all to use and
| improve upon, with only several hundred dollars required for materials.
`----

http://www.thestandard.com/news/2008/03/04/reprap-open-source-3d-printer-masses

AMD Shows Off 45nm Chips

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD demonstrated its first 45nm processor designs at the giant CeBit trade
| show in Hanover, Germany this week and said it is on track to release 45nm
| processors in the second half of this year.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/hardware/article.php/3732096

"When you taunt the referee, he usually
watches you even more closely. That’s what happened to Microsoft, whose
“up yours!” attitude toward the Department of Justice has inspired
investigators to dig even deeper. Now they’re looking at Microsoft’s
efforts to take over Java. These relentless investigations sap
Microsoft, and distract the DOJ from worse dangers such as Intel. And
Microsoft’s childish, insulting behavior is largely to blame."

                                        --Jesse Berst

Related:

The open source ?make anything? machine

,----[ Quote ]
| I spotted an interesting story in the Guardian newspaper over the
| weekend about RepRap, the "self-replicating rapid prototyper" project
| at Bath University.
|
| [...]
|
| "I did not want an individual, company or country to make money from
| this," Rep Rap founder, Dr Adrian Bowyer, told The Guardian. The
| results of the RepRap project are available under the GNU General
| Public License and are available at SourceForge.
|
| Another point of interest, given the current climate in the open
| source market, is that it is already being predicted that RepRap will
| fall foul of IP lawyers. "Somewhere along this line the intellectual
| property people are going to come in and say 'No we don't want you
| all printing out Ferraris and we don't want you printing out
| pizzas'," Michael Hart, founder of Project Gutenberg, told The
| Guardian.
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2006/11/the_open_source_1.html

Related (Intel breaks the law to hurt AMD and others):

Intel and AMD's bitter -- and strange -- rivalry

,----[ Quote ]
| For, in a strange way, Intel, the world's No. 1 chipmaker, seems to need the
| smaller AMD as a foil on the tech stage, and AMD needs Intel in order to play
| the role of the little guy battling the big gorilla.
|
| Analyst Roger Kay of Endpoint Technologies Inc. said each of the two
| rivals "is pursuing its own imperatives, and any action it takes can be seen
| as a straightforward reaction to its capabilities, circumstances and
| character."
|
| But he noted, "Intel would likely face greater antitrust scrutiny if AMD went
| out of business, and AMD has gotten so used to operating in a climate
| dominated by Intel that its character has been formed around the obstacle."
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/intel-amds-rivalry-heats-up/story.aspx?guid=%7B93349376%2D9699%2D472D%2D95DA%2DB4C1E1E9335A%7D&siteid=yhoof

AMD's shares rally despite red-ink results

,----[ Quote ]
| Shares of Advanced Micro Devices Inc. jumped Friday after the chipmaker
| reported financial results that analysts say showed AMD isn't in as deep a
| hole as some had feared.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/amds-shares-rise-investors-see/story.aspx?guid=%7B35C9A341%2D06BC%2D45E4%2DA7A3%2D78D8EBF5990F%7D&siteid=yhoof
http://tinyurl.com/2myxce

Gritty AMD's chips are still down

,----[ Quote ]
| Hector Ruiz, AMD CEO, says his company has been at the forefront of
| innovation in computing technology and accuses Intel of abusing its monopoly
| in world markets.
|
| [...]
|
| "If you look at the last five years, if you look at what major innovations
| have occurred in computing technology, every single one of them came from
| AMD. Not a single innovation came from Intel," he claimed.
|
| "So I would say that Intel is trying to catch up with us in that respect."
|
| Ruiz accuses Intel of trying to use their market share and production
| capabilities to squeeze AMD out of the market.
|
| "Intel continues... to abuse their monopoly and that's why around the world
| governments and regulatory agencies continue to go after them."
`----

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles/07/12/01/10171434.html

Intel: doing the dirty on OLPC

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel’s agreement with the OLPC Foundation included a ‘non disparagement’
| clause, under which Intel and One Laptop promised not to criticize each
| other, according to Nicholas Negroponte in the latest article in the Wall
| Street Journal.
|
| Still Intel tactics have violated that repeatedly to kill OLPC efforts in
| Nigeria, Libya, Pakistan, India, China and Intel is also still trying to pull
| those tactics in Mexico, Brazil.
| This is simply disgracefull of Intel, scandalous.
|
| But Negroponte has signed an agreement saying that he is not allowed to
| criticize Intel, so he is not allowed to talk about these shameless tactics
| even though Intel is the one violating the agreement.
|
| So only independant voices on the Internet can get those messages of truth
| out about Intels tactics.
|
| In Nigeria, Intel came and donated 3000 laptops to counter OLPC efforts, then
| sells 17 thousand Classmates to Nigeria at a loss.
|
| Then Microsoft corrupted Nigerian officials with 400 thousand dollars to
| install Windows XP on those instead of Mandriva Linux.
`----

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/14124

EU issues antitrust charge sheet against Intel

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Commission issued formal charges against Intel on Thursday for
| allegedly using illegal tactics against smaller rival Advanced Micro Devices,
| a European Commission spokesman said.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6199093.html

Negroponte says Intel should be "ashamed of itself"

,----[ Quote ]
| He is furious that Intel's CEO Craig Barrett called the One Laptop a
| gadget. The Negroponte initiative is caught in the middle of a vicious
| fight between AMD and Intel, he said.

AMD chief condemns Intel 'abuses'

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2005, after the Japan Fair Trade Commission found Intel guilty of
| offering illegal rebates to Japanese PC makers, AMD filed an anti-trust
| suit against its competitor in the U.S. District Court in Delaware. The
| case has not been decided.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/06/21/amd_ceo_condemns_intel_abuses/

AMD: Intel Destroyed Evidence in Antitrust Case

,----[ Quote ]
| In an unpublished statement to the U.S. District Court of Delaware,
| AMD alleges Intel allowed the destruction of evidence in pending
| antitrust litigation.

Video: Henri Richard comes out swinging at Intel during AMD press conference

,----[ Quote ]
| [AMD's Henri Richard:] "I am sick and tired of being pushed around
| by a competitor that doesn't respect the rules of fair and open
| competition."
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/?p=363

Investors sue Dell on payments from Intel: WSJ

,----[ Quote ]
| An investor lawsuit seeking class-action status accuses Dell Inc. of
| improper accounting in its relationship with chip giant Intel,
| according to a media report published Thursday evening.
|
| [...]
|
| The suit alleges that Dell received at times as much as $1 billion
| a year in "secret and likely illegal" kickbacks in the form of
| "e-Cap" or "exception to corporate average pricing" payments"
| from Intel to ensure that Dell used no other chip supplier,
| according to The Journal.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/investors-sue-dell-payments-intel/story.aspx?guid=%7B400315B0%2DE375%2D4920%2DB300%2D784220BEFE35%7D&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo

Lenovo got financial help from Intel, claim

,----[ Quote ]
| Journalists on the title said Lenovo is being paid a "pretty
| penny" from Intel to use its chips.

| In 2005, a unit of Shenzhen Donjin countersued, saying Intel engaged
| in monopolistic practices.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070514/china_intel_settlement.html?.v=7

Intel's anti-trust memos started vanishing from the top

,----[ Quote ]
| Chairman Craig Barrett, CEO Paul Otellini and sales chief Sean Maloney
| have appeared on a list of Intel employees thought to have deleted
| e-mails possibly relevant to AMD's anti-trust lawsuit against its
| larger rival. The missing e-mails have thrust a livid state of mind
| onto AMD's lawyers who have very serious problems with Intel's
| rather lax document retention policy.
|
| [...]
|
| CEO Otellini appears to have been one of these troublesome employees.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/11/intel_tortellini_episode/

U.S. judge orders Intel to try to recover e-mails

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20070307:MTFH90775_2007-03-07_18-56-16_N06406049&type=comktNews&rpc=44
http://tinyurl.com/2fbanr