Re: [News] New Project Strives to Produce $5 Linux-based Media Players

____/ 7 on Thursday 06 March 2008 05:58 : \____

>>> http://www.alibaba.com
>>> http://www.globalsources.com
>>
>> Wow! That's pretty handy. What might it run? Firmware? Small embedded
>> Linux (I haven't looked)?
>
> Sumvision is reported to be embedded Linux
> that can be reflashed.

It must be one of the many miniature Linux PCs (by definition) that are shipped
per day. How much does the 'desktop' account for? Like less than 2% of the
real market?

___#
,----[ Quote ]
| Around 98% of the world's CPUs manufactured are used in embedded systems.
`----

http://www.digitaltippingpoint.com/?q=node/132

Four billion embedded systems shipped in '06

PCs being pushed aside in Japan

,----[ Quote ]
| The PC's role in Japanese homes is diminishing, as its once-awesome monopoly
| on processing power is encroached by gadgets such as smart phones that act
| like pocket-size computers, advanced Internet-connected game consoles,
| digital video recorders with terabytes of memory.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071104/ap_on_hi_te/bye_bye_pcs

Linux to grow 278% in embedded/mobile/real-time apps

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux use in "next" embedded, mobile, and real-time projects will grow 278
| percent over that in "previous" projects, suggests a recent survey by Venture
| Development Corp. (VDC).

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "I think I think, therefore I think I am"
Tasks: 137 total,   1 running, 136 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie