[News] GNU/Linux Seen as Perfect for Digital TV in Asia

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Seen as Perfect for Digital TV in Asia
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 16:33:21 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
A Match Made in Heaven: Digital TV and Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| ‘Linux is a match for TV?’
`----

http://english.etnews.co.kr/news/detail.html?id=200803050007

Related:

Linux is de facto OS for TV set-top boxes

,----[ Quote ]
| "The major chipset manufacturers are introducing new Linux platforms
| almost monthly," said Ken Helps, managing director of Ocean Blue Software.
|
| The attraction is that the Linux operating system will support
| advanced functions without requiring a license fee.
`----

http://www.edn.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA6426925&partner=eb&spacedesc=news
http://tinyurl.com/2zofx9

Linux STB used in award-winning eldercare product

,----[ Quote ]
| Dutch telecom operator and Internet service provider KPN has
| bestowed an award for innovation on DataBalk's ZorgTV
| ("CareTV" in English) product. The product is based on
| Amino's Linux-based Aminet110 set-top box (pictured at
| left), and aims to help elderly people "stay independent"
| longer, according to DataBalk.

IP-STB runs Linux, supports USB-based descrambler

,----[ Quote ]
| The AccessKey Home IP-STB is optionally available with an "AccessKey
| USB" storage device, that appears to resemble a USB-based cable card.
| It may also include a bootable Linux-based OS.

The Google Set-Top Box (Think Android For TV)

,----[ Quote ]
| Google may very well want to do to the set-top box what it is trying to do to
| the mobile phone with its Android operating system—create an open-source
| hardware platform and attract developers to build applications on top of it.
| At least that is the unconfirmed rumor I’ve heard from two knowledgeable
| industry sources.
`----

http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/11/20/the-google-set-top-box-think-android-for-tv/

Now that your TV is a computer

,----[ Quote ]
| It is also a computer that runs Linux, the free open-source operating system.
| I know because it crashed once, and I got a command prompt. (Plus, the Dish
| people have Linux programming code posted on their Web site, as they're
| supposed to under the open-source license.) Since it is a computer, it can be
| upgraded. And it's been getting upgraded like crazy.
`----

http://www.newsday.com/technology/ny-bzdolinar1118,0,866932.column

European Operators Select Motorola's Linux-Based IP Set-Tops For IPTV
Services

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorola announced that it has been selected by two leading
| telecommunications providers to supply its Linux-based VIP range of
| IP set-tops for IPTV services.
`----

http://linux.sys-con.com/read/284402_p.htm

Electronics firms plan Internet televisions

,----[ Quote ]
| The new televisions will use Linux operating systems instead of
| Microsoft Windows, it added. That feature is aimed at cutting the time
| needed to boot up and reducing the risk of virus infection.
`----

http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/Parody_of_Al_Gore_Film_tied_0803.html#comments

TV Makers to Collaborate on Internet TV Standards

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://informitv.com/articles/2006/08/05/internettvplans/