[News] Warner Keeps Escaping DRM, Starts New MP3 Service

  • Subject: [News] Warner Keeps Escaping DRM, Starts New MP3 Service
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 16:26:41 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Warner teams up with 7digital to provide DRM-free music

,----[ Quote ]
| The move is quite a kick in the teeth for Apple's Itunes, as the DRM free
| MP3's can be played on almost all digital devices including the iPod. The
| move makes UK-based music download site 7 Digital the first major European
| download source offering Warner Music and EMI tracks in the MP3 file format.
| They are also rumoured to be in discussions with Sony BMG and Universal.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/03/05/warner-teams-7digital-provide

Recent:

Amazon MP3 Now Open To Linux Users

,----[ Quote ]
| And now the company’s gone and done another decent thing with is music
| download service: it has opened its doors to Linux users.
`----

http://mashable.com/2008/03/01/amazon-mp3-linux/

Related:

Legal, major label DRM-free MP3s hit UK (at last)

,----[ Quote ]
| Play.com said the average price per track will be 70 pence. Album bundles are
| charged at £6.99.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/13/play_uk_drm_free/

Embarrassed by DRM

,----[ Quote ]
| The point behind all this is, of course, to conceal the very existence of DRM
| from the user..
|
| Ergo, we need to shout about the presence of DRM from the rooftops: the more
| people know about it, the more they will dislike it, as Microsoft well
| understands....
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/02/embarrassed-by-drm.html

Microsoft: We Like DRM