[News] Review of Two Ubuntu Derivatives (Mint "Daryna", Shift)

  • Subject: [News] Review of Two Ubuntu Derivatives (Mint "Daryna", Shift)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 12:45:31 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Linux Review 5- Linux Mint 4 "Daryna"

,----[ Quote ]
| So, lets look at the pro's-
|
|     * GNOME looks more familiar to Windows users.
|     * Very Nice UI
|     * Easy to use
|     * Fast
|     * Uses Ubuntu Repositories
|     * Comes with Flash and Java
|     * and it is easy to change and customize
|
| There are just a few cons-
|
|     * LiveCD Boot is extremely slow, slower than Ubuntu
|     * Some confusing options
`----

http://linux-exploration.blogspot.com/2008/03/linux-review-5-linux-mint-4-daryna.html

Shift Linux 0.6 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| I did not seen any reasoning or logic for creating Shift Linux. What the
| project website describes as need is the need for gnome/KDE/fluxbox theme,
| not an Ubuntu derivative. I tried really hard to find at least some other
| difference but failed. Shift Linux just provides an additional theme, and as
| a matter of fact, an ugly theme.
`----

http://simplyjat.blogspot.com/2008/03/shift-linux-06-review.html

Related:

Review: Shift Linux 0.5 - Neowin's Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Based on Morphix Linux, Shift is Debian based and I decided to try the latest
| ShiftLinux 0.5 RC2. Most stuff are going to be the same between this one and
| 0.5 Final to b released on 10th Nov,2007. I prefer to use KDE, and hence got
| the KDE version.
`----

http://sunnytalkstech.blogspot.com/2007/09/review-shift-linux-05-neowins-linux.html

Neowin Shift Linux 0.5 Final Released

,----[ Quote ]
| Shift Linux is a Linux project that was created by the Neowin community.
| Based on Morphix Linux, Shift is Debian based live CD; therefore it has
| access to all of the software and applications as other Debian distributions.
| Several versions of Shift Linux have been developed to produce for computers
| with lighter or more robust hardware configurations. We have produced Shift
| with Fluxbox as the predominant desktop manager for lower resource computers,
| and Shift with Gnome and KDE desktop managers, for heartier machines.
`----

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/07/11/25/neowin-shift-linux-05-final-released

ReviewLinux.com: Linux Mint 4.0 - An Elegant Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.reviewlinux.com/?m=show&id=7962