[News] New Announcement About Open Source (Apache-licensed) Flash Alternative

  • Subject: [News] New Announcement About Open Source (Apache-licensed) Flash Alternative
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 08:05:09 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Curl Delivers First Open Source Product with Web Services Development Kit

,----[ Quote ]
| Curl’s RIA Platform Version 6.0 was announced in the fall of 2007 and makes
| it easier for developers to build enterprise-class RIAs.
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080304005364&newsLang=en

Related:

Enterprise Web App Platform Maker UnCurls Code

,----[ Quote ]
| "The decision to release all of the Curl source code above the RTE was made
| to encourage broad adoption of Curl as a viable enterprise RIA platform and
| provide all of the components required to support development of Curl
| applications," Richard Treadway, vice president of product strategy for Curl,
| told LinuxInsider.

Rich Web technologies debated

,----[ Quote ]
| With the proliferation of mobile devices however, HTML browsing will not be
| available on all these systems, and the iPhone does not have Flash and
| probably will not have Silverlight either, said Ferraiolo. AJAX, however, is
| always there and is open and can be counted on, he said.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=140257782&rid=-50

ECIS Accuses Microsoft of Plotting HTML Hijack

,----[ Quote ]
| An industry coalition that has represented competitors of Microsoft
| in European markets before the European Commission stepped up its
| public relations offensive this morning, this time accusing
| Microsoft of scheming to upset HTML's place in the fabric of
| the Internet with XAML, an XML-based layout lexicon for
| network applications.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/ECIS_Accuses_Microsoft_of_Plotting_HTML_Hijack/1169824569

Audience abandons Microsoft's MIX 07 keynote

,----[ Quote ]
| He said that when Microsoft and other companies create communities
| around their technology, it's usually accidental, not created by
| any ad placed strategically on a web page or in a game.
|
| "The Xbox community existed, but the Microsoft ads [in games and
| on Xbox Live] then got moved around quite by accident, not by
| design," Rasala said. "It's unclear that many companies can
| replicate that pattern by design."
|
| After Bach's keynote, it was difficult to find attendees in
| the hall that did not work for Microsoft. Nine out of 10
| attendees approached for comment after his talk were from
| the company.
`----

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=9217

Silverlight is about The Microsoft Web.

,----[ Quote ]
| Sorry, but I have to say something very rude. You clearly don't know
| what you're talking about. That is Microsoft PR talking. Can you say
| "credibility loss".
|
| Silverlight is about The Microsoft Web
|
| Silverlight is not about the World Wide Web. It's about The Microsoft
| Web. It's about getting fools to rally around Microsoft. After all of
| this time and experience with Microsoft, anybody with half a brain
| will be smart enough to avoid doing that. The last thing you want to
| be is dependent on Microsoft and set yourself up to be a DIRECT
| competitor with "Microsoft Cloud Services" down the road. Dumb.
| Foolish. Stupid. Smart investors won't invest one dime in your
| company and might even short your stock.
|
| Remember, it's Microsoft's cloud. Microsoft is not investing in
| huge datacenters all around the world for no reason. And, Microsoft
| will do whatever it takes, including operating that new online
| services business at a huge loss, to starve off any smaller
| competitor that foolishly chose to develop on the Silverlight
| platform. Microsoft sold $44 BILLION and cleared $18 BILLION
| profit last year. How many billions did you make last year?
`----

http://talkback.zdnet.com/5208-11406-0.html?forumID=1&threadID=33334&messageID=613757

Microsoft's Silverlight Promises to Disrupt Linux Web Users

,----[ Quote ]
| Just as it seemed that Linux users (especially 64-bit users) would
| finally be able to enjoy streaming content with a minimum of
| hassle, Microsoft's new Silverlight software promises to throw a
| wrench in the works. Because of sites like Google Video and
| Youtube, Flash video has become a common means of streaming
| multimedia over the Internet.

Microsoft's 'Everywhere' excludes Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| This browser add-on enables rendering of WPF content, but
| "Everywhere" doesn't include Linux.

Microsoft's Silverlight Disappoints

,----[ Quote ]
| I shake off the dissapointment and continue up the trail
`----

http://www.simplifiedchaos.com/2007/05/15/12/

Lights out for Silverlight

,----[ Quote ]