Re: Adventures in public printing (Windows security)

____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 04 March 2008 08:41 : \____

http://vistasucks.wordpress.com/2007/12/06/adventures-in-public-printing-windows-security/

>> I really like this one.

I still remember it. Posted here at the time... showing the secret life of
Linux.

>> Windows has literally become unusable.
>>

> It's been heading that way for a very long time.  One of my work
> colleagues has recently received a new Laptop, and has spent several
> days trying to get to a point where he can use it.  Another colleague is
> unable to connect to anything because the 3rd party "firewall" won't let
> him connect it to anything.  He can't even boot an Ubuntu LiveCD on it,
> because "safeboot" prevents him loading software which works...
>
> The whole situation is a total mess.
>
> Incidentally, there is an increasing body of people who are working
> red-side, ie., outside the corporate firewall, and using Apple and Linux
> machines, because it's better that way.
>
> My local library has ancient machines running some Windows version.
> They're sort of okay, take forever to get going, but kind of work when
> you get there.  Unfortunately, they only have IE on them, so it's like
> going back to the stone-age from a browsing viewpoint.

They ought to make it a requirement that you use Live CDs for something like
online banking. Or at least a VM...

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    X-No-Archive: No. Stand behind what you say