[News] The Google and Linux Affair in Desktop PCs

  • Subject: [News] The Google and Linux Affair in Desktop PCs
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 03:18:10 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Googly Eyed

,----[ Quote ]
| After an excruciatingly long time, it looks like Linux is finally taking
| hold. But maybe we should rename it the Google Operating System because,
| clearly, the big Daddy Warbucks of search is the wind beneath the wings of
| Linux these days.
|
| Google’s new Android initiative has a toehold on cell phones, and the company
| has long promoted open source on the web, where your browser is basically
| your OS. Now that’s the rallying point for Linux developers on the desktop,
| as per new machines like the Asus (asus.com) Eee PC 4G mini laptop, Everex
| (everex.com) gPC TC2502 and Zonbu (zonbu.com) PCs. The search giant didn’t
| build them, but you’d never know it from booting one up.
`----

http://www.entrepreneur.com/magazine/entrepreneur/2008/march/190156.html

Days ago:

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

| you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that. Perhaps Google on that layer, although frankly speaking,
| most of what we have there is upside. We're small and they're big. (With)
| most things, we're big and the other guy is small, so we have more to lose
| than gain. In this case, we have more to gain than to lose with Google.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

Related:

FAA May Ditch Microsoft's Windows Vista And Office For Google And Linux Combo

,----[ Quote ]
| Bowen said he's in talks with the aviation safety agency's main
| hardware supplier, Dell Computer, to determine if it could
| deliver Linux-based computers capable of accessing Google
| Apps through a non-Microsoft browser once the FAA's XP-based
| computers pass their shelf life.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197800480

Can Google and Linux Topple Microsoft?