[News] Poll: Technologists Reject Software Patents, IAM Predicts Radical Change

  • Subject: [News] Poll: Technologists Reject Software Patents, IAM Predicts Radical Change
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 06:40:56 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Should software be patented? This site would like the practice stopped

,----[ Quote ]
| Should software be patented?
|
| # No (54%)
| # Why not copyright it instead? (22%)
| # Only in rare cases when the software is truly innovative (16%)
| # Yes (6%)
| # Abolish the Patent office. Let the free market decide (3%)
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/ip-telephony/?p=3339

IAM on In re Bilski: Tightening The Standards For Software Patents

,----[ Quote ]
| Joff Wild of IAM Magazine predicts that the Federal Circuit’s en banc
| rehearing of the In re Bilsk case signals a move to restrict the
| patentability of software and business methods.
`----

http://www.waltmire.com/blog/archives/2008/02/26/iam-on-in-re-bilski-tightening-the-standards-for-software-patents/

"If it [the timing of the donation] had anything to do with the antitrust case,
we would have told someone."

                        --Ms. Stonifer, director William H. Gates Foundation

Related:

My Dumb Software Patents

,----[ Quote ]
`----