[News] [Rival] More Possible Misconduct in SCO, Comast Admits 'Vote Rigging'

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] More Possible Misconduct in SCO, Comast Admits 'Vote Rigging'
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 17:47:32 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
SCO Reveals Darl McBride's 2007 Compensation

,----[ Quote ]
| According to a SEC Schedule 14A filing made by SCO, McBride in 2007 pulled in
| a base salary, bonus and options totalling $571,220.
|
| [...]
|
| So for all you kids out there,maybe there is a lesson here. Perhaps you too
| can grow up to earn a very respectable living leading a company down the path
| of destruction into bankruptcy.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2008/02/sco-reveals-darl-mcbrides-2007.html

Comcast admits paying attendees at FCC hearing

,----[ Quote ]
| Comcast Corp. admitted yesterday that it paid people to attend a government
| hearing. Company critics say the freelance attendees were there to crowd them
| out; Comcast says they were merely saving seats for employees.
`----

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/front_page/20080228_Comcast_admits_paying_attendees_at_FCC_hearing.html

Recent:

Comcast stacked Net Neutrality meeting

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/02/27/comcast-stacked-net-neutrality

Allegations fly in FCC hearing aftermath

,----[ Quote ]
| Comcast Corp. on Tuesday acknowledged hiring people to fill seats before the
| start of a contentious federal hearing on how the company manages its
| broadband network, allowing its employees to take those seats when the
| filled-to-capacity hearing started.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080227/ap_on_hi_te/internet_regulation

US senator accuses FCC of rigging 700MHz auction

,----[ Quote ]
| Wireless watchers are still waiting for the final results of the The Great
| American Wireless Auction, but that hasn't stopped at least one US Senator
| from dubbing the FCC's $20bn bid-off "a disaster".
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/26/fcc_accused_of_rigging_700mhz_auction/

Related:

Comcast, Microsoft team up to serve smaller firms

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's move to offer the online software suite appears designed to
| compete with a similar offering from rival Google Inc (GOOG.O: Quote,
| Profile, Research) known as Google Apps.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUKN1361814420071114?rpc=44

FCC clears Google to bid in wireless auction

,----[ Quote ]
| Communications regulators have cleared Google to bid in an upcoming auction
| of coveted wireless airwaves, according to auction documents released by the
| Federal Communications Commission on Monday. Google was among a list of
| potential bidders released by the FCC that have made a required up-front
| payment and have been cleared to take part in the high-stakes 700MHz wireless
| auction.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2110-1035_22-6226146.html

FCC asks Comcast about Internet filter

,----[ Quote ]
| Comcast Corp. Monday said it has received letters of inquiry from the Federal
| Communications Commission regarding complaints that the company actively
| interferes with its subscribers' Internet traffic.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080114/ap_on_hi_te/comcast_data_discrimination

FCC officially opens proceeding on Comcast's P2P throttling

,----[ Quote ]
| The Federal Communications Commission has officially opened a pair of
| rule-making proceedings over network management in the wake of the discovery
| that Comcast occasionally blocks some BitTorrent and other traffic (Comcast
| calls it "delaying"). The proceedings are not unexpected, seeing as how FCC
| Chairman Kevin Martin promised an investigation last week at the Consumer
| Electronics Show.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080114-fcc-officially-opens-proceeding-on-comcasts-p2p-throttling.html

Consumer groups want Comcast fined for thwarting the Bible

,----[ Quote ]
| A number of consumer groups are petitioning the FCC to fine Comcast $195,000
| for every customer affected by their BitTorrent-throttling practices. The FCC
| has said in the past that service providers can't "block" customers from
| using certain applications or websites, but it hasn't enforced that policy.
`----

http://valleywag.com/tech/politics/consumer-groups-want-comcast-fined-for-thwarting-the-bible-317960.php

Comcast reported to FCC

,----[ Quote ]
| P2P throttling breaks FCC 'net neutrality' policy
|
| [...]
|
| Among the consumer groups who have approached the FCC are the Consumer
| Federation of America, the Consumers Union, the Media Access Project and
| professors at the Internet practices of the Yale, Harvard and Stanford law
| schools.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/02/comcast-reported-fcc

Comcast's "We Don't Throttle BitTorrent" Internal Talking Points Memo

http://consumerist.com/consumer/leaks/comcasts-we-dont-throttle-bittorrent-internal-talking-points-memo-315791.php

Comcast Isn’t Net Neutral; Are They Liars, Too?

,----[ Quote ]
| Following reports that Comcast isn’t net neutral, Consumerist blog has
| acquired several leaks from Comcast insiders, claiming that they do indeed
| use Sandvine for packet shaping, and that customer service representatives
| are being told nothing about how the network technology works,
`----

http://mashable.com/2007/10/26/comcast-isnt-net-neutral-are-they-liars-too/

Senators want probe of Comcast's BitTorrent 'discrimination'

,----[ Quote ]
| The senators suggested the incidents indicate "Congress should consider
| adopting targeted regulations to protect consumers and ensure a vibrant and
| open communications platform."
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9805308-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Congressman to Comcast: Stop interfering with BitTorrent

,----[ Quote ]
| While a class action lawsuit is definitely one way to get Comcast to behave,
| another perhaps more productive way to do so is to have politicians step in
| and regulate.
|
| On Tuesday, I discussed the issue of Comcast's anti-BitTorrent "network
| management" with Rep. Rick Boucher, D-Va., who is a strong supporter of
| consumer rights and has led the battle to undo the damage caused by the
| Digital Millennium Copyright Act, or DMCA.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9804158-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

OiNK Down, Norwegian BitTorrent Trackers Next

,----[ Quote ]
| With the BitTorrent world spinning on its heels after the shock takedown of
| the huge OiNK tracker, there are now indications that the shutdowns may
| continue. According to the lawyer who lost against ‘DVD Jon’, next stop is
| Norway and raids are imminent.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/oink-down-norwegian-bittorrent-trackers-next-071024/

TorrentSpy Traffic Plunges After US Ban

,----[ Quote ]
| The MPAA has caused TorrentSpy, once the most popular BitTorrent site, some
| serious headaches. After a federal judge ordered TorrentSpy to log all user
| data stored in RAM, they decided to block access to US users, consequently
| their traffic dropped significantly.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/torrentspy-traffic-plunges-after-us-ban-071006/

BitTorrent Admin Monitored by US Government, Forced to Dump Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Sk0t, an ex-administrator of the EliteTorrents BitTorrent tracker is to have
| his internet connection forcibly monitored by the US Government. If that
| wasn’t bad enough, the monitoring software is Windows based - which means he
| is being forced to ditch Linux - or face being barred from the internet.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-admin-monitored-by-us-government-forced-to-dump-linux/

Is Comcast's BitTorrent filtering violating the law?

,----[ Quote ]
| Assuming that the SYN packet goes through, the three-way handshake is allowed
| to happen, then the two hosts will be able to begin communicating. Your ISP
| can still kill the connection later, should they wish to, merely by blocking
| the transmission of future packets.
|
| According to Torrent Freak, Comcast is not doing this. They are instead
| sending a reset (or RST) packet to the Comcast customer, pretending to be
| from the host at the end of the BitTorrent connection.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13739_1-9769645-46.html

Comcast Cuts Off Heavy Internet Users

,----[ Quote ]