[News] Increased Popularity for KDE, GNOME Opposition and Conference Coming

  • Subject: [News] Increased Popularity for KDE, GNOME Opposition and Conference Coming
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 17:16:03 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
KDE Desktop Environment of the Year 2007, Apps Finish Strongly

,----[ Quote ]
| The 2007 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Award winners have been announced.
| KDE leads the popularity list in the category Desktop Environment with a
| rocking 52% percent of the votes leaving competing contenders in its dust.
`----

http://dot.kde.org/1204192621/

Will The Canoniclique Finally Listen To Kubuntu?

,----[ Quote ]
| In any event, one of my first tasks on Brainstorm was to query for "KDE"
| and "Kubuntu" ideas, but I found only one: Idea #478 - Support kubuntu and
| kde the way you support ubuntu and gnome. Fine. It's about as well-expressed
| an idea as I could have hoped for, and a good candidate for merging the
| duplicate questions into. But what's been interesting is watching the early
| resistance from GNOME users, not so much in the comments, but in the bouncing
| score. While I don't have the time to check in often, it's gone from zero to
| 18 to zero in just the short time I've been observing. Currently, it sits at
| 34. I wonder where it will be when I finish typing this?
|
| Why the resistance? KDE is an excellent desktop. While it may not be the
| Ubuntu default, it's still undeniably popular, having won
| LinuxQuestions.org's Desktop Environment of the Year for the seventh
| consecutive year in a row. The same survey saw K3B, Amarok and Konqueror win
| resounding victories against their non-KDE counterparts.
`----

http://menpro.blogspot.com/2008/02/will-canoniclique-finally-listen-to.html

GUADEC 2008 to be held in Istanbul, Turkey

,----[ Quote ]
| GUADEC, the annual GNOME conference will be held in Istanbul, Turkey from the
| 7th to the 12th of July 2008. The conference will bring together the GNOME
| development and user community and key personalities from businesses and
| governments, to discuss the future direction of the GNOME project.
`----

http://www.gnome.org/press/releases/guadec2008.html

Related and recent:

GNOME 2.22.0 Release Candidate (2.21.92) Released!

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the last unstable release before 2.22.0. It's been a pretty fun
| ride since September. New features. Bug fixes. Translations.
| Documentation. Lots of bug triaging too. And we're getting ready to
| start again for 2.23! But before, we need to make sure 2.22.0 will be
| rock-solid. There's still a few days before the hard code freeze, so
| it's not too late to fix this last bug you're ashamed of ;-)
`----

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-announce-list/2008-February/msg00086.html

Kubuntu 8.04 KDE 4 Alpha

,----[ Quote ]