Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Lobbing Arm Blames Workers for PC Insecurity

____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 01 March 2008 08:48 : \____

> [H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> espoused:
>> Jerry McBride wrote:
>>
>>> Hell, I'll even go so far as to suggest that msft may be the
>>> originator of some, if not all, of the windows virus, malware and
>>> worms. Who better to know the attack vectors, than the programmer of
>>> the OS itself?
>>
>> Don't know about the Vole specifically, but I've long suspected the AV
>> vendors of fuelling the same fires they purport to extinguish. Given the
>> covert nature of Windows development, it seems reasonable that Microsoft
>> are involved somehow, although much can be achieved with reverse
>> engineering, as many FOSS projects have already demonstrated.
>
> Be in no doubt, it's in the interests of AV companies to fuel some fear.
> I'm quite sure that they've considered writing viruses, even if they
> haven't actually done it...
>

>> The vast number of exploits do seem to indicate Microsoft's complicity.
>> Either that, or there's more hackers using computer's than regular
>> users, which seems unlikely. Of course the cynical answer is that
>> Windows must be trivial to hack, not that I have any personal
>> experience, beyond that of a Malware victim. The closest I ever got was
>> experimenting with TSRs back in the DOS days, and Amiga coolcapture and
>> coldcapture vectors before that. No I wasn't writing viruses :) I was
>> experimenting with bootable ram disks.
>>

> Personally, I still believe that Microsoft just write sh1te code.  I
> don't think that they care all that much about AV companies, but they
> *do* care about selling an improved version of the same thing every year
> or so.  Gates even said so, back in about 1994 or so.  Therefore, I
> agree with the view that problems are deliberately not "properly" fixed,
> but I doubt Microsoft have the skills to selectively drip security
> problems in, rather, I suspect that the lack the skills to write secure
> code.

Watch what Kempin said about sufficiency and having to make programs more
resource hungry. That's 'Microsoft think'. Of course, in a competitive market,
this type of behaviour won't prevail

Behold low-cost Linux laptops galore.

Roy S. Schestowitz     | D-I-S-C-O becomes D-I-E S-C-O
Cpu(s): 26.1%us,  4.0%sy,  1.0%ni, 64.5%id,  4.0%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.1%si,  0.0%st