[News] 'Anti-Vista' Petition Approaches 100,000 Signatures, GNU/Linux Takes Advantage

  • Subject: [News] 'Anti-Vista' Petition Approaches 100,000 Signatures, GNU/Linux Takes Advantage
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 04:58:53 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On the necessity of InfoWorld's 'Save XP' campaign

,----[ Quote ]
| What's more, company e-mails that were unsealed this week as part of the
| lawsuit that claims Microsoft deceived buyers when it promoted PCs
| as "Windows Vista Capable" indicate that even top Microsoft executives
| struggled with Vista because some of their hardware would not work with the
| OS.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/daily/archives/2008/02/on_the_necessit.html?source=rss

Linux thriving in an anti-Windows Vista market

,----[ Quote ]
| In the current competitive landscape those numbers don’t even approach
| Microsoft, but it may be another indication that the marketplace is looking
| for solutions that are cost effective and nimble, which are two flagship
| features of most open source projects like Linux.
`----

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure
%20/2008/02/29/linux-thriving-in-a-windows-vista-anti-market/

Related:

Prediction: Linux will Eat Microsoft on Most Desktops

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, compare that to a $500.00 desktop running Linux and OpenSource
| applicaitons. That would be about $50,000. The difference? Two or three
| employees, a huge bonus, a couple of vehicles, whatever. Not small.
`----

http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2007/12/prediction_linux_will_eat_micr.php

Linux is about to take over the low end of PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Opinion -- Sometimes, several unrelated changes come to a head at the same
| time, with a result no one could have predicted. The PC market is at such a
| tipping point right now and the result will be millions of Linux-powered PCs
| in users' hands.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft will fight this trend tooth and nail. It will cut prices to the
| point where it'll be bleeding ink on some of its product lines. And Windows
| XP is going to stick around much longer than Microsoft ever wanted it to.
| Still, it won't be enough. By attacking from the bottom, where Microsoft can
| no longer successfully compete, Linux will finally cut itself a large slice
| of the desktop market pie.

Ugly view mars Windows Vista birthday

,----[ Quote ]
| According to latest data from NPD, Microsoft is shipping fewer boxed copies
| of Windows Vista than it did Windows XP at the same point in the operating
| systems' lifecycles.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/11/30/vista_birthday/

The Vista Death Watch

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has extended the life of Windows XP because Vista has simply not
| shown any life in the market. We have to begin to ask ourselves if we are
| really looking at Windows Me/2007, destined to be a disdained flop. By all
| estimates the number of Vista installations hovers around the number of Macs
| in use.
|
| How did this happen? And what’s going to happen next? Does Microsoft have a
| Plan B? A number of possibilities come to mind, and these things must be
| considered by the company itself.
`----

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2209837,00.asp?kc=PCRSS03079TX1K0000584

Lenovo offers downgrade from Windows Vista to Windows XP

,----[ Quote ]
| My colleague Stian just sent me this interesting link regarding my
| experiences with Windows Vista. Since I assume the link will NOT have the
| visual appearence it has right now for very many more hours (days) I've
| created a screenshot of how it looked when I went into the site.
`----

http://jaxed.org/lenovo-offers-downgrade-from-windows-vista-to-windows-xp.blog

Windows Vista kicked out of Olympics PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's latest version of Windows is too risky to implement for the
| important computers managing the 2008 Olympic summer games in Beijing, said
| the event's computer supplier and sponsor Lenovo.
`----

http://www.electronista.com/articles/07/08/08/no.vista.on.olympic.pcs/

DSG continues retailer woes

,----[ Quote ]
| DSG, the company formerly known as Dixons, became the latest British retailer
| to report a drop in profits for the summer months today. But it wasn’t all
| down to the rotten weather – this time it was also Microsoft’s fault.
`----

http://www.managementtoday.co.uk/newsalerts/article/748756/dsg-continues-retailer-woes/

Dell casts doubts on Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell today revealed that it will restore the option to use Windows XP on
| some of its home systems, marking a potentially damaging blow to
| Microsoft's hopes for the newer Windows Vista.
|
| [...]
|
| While a popular request through the company's IdeaStorm website, the
| choice was substantially outnumbered by requests for pre-installed
| Linux, US-based technical support, and other features -- pointing to a
| larger general demand for the change. The turnaround may be a reflection of
| an overall backlash against Vista, observed IDC analyst Richard Shim.
`----

http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/04/19/dell.casts.doubts.on.vista/

Windows Vista: Sold but not deployed

,----[ Quote ]