[News] Major Companies Circle Around Linux Group (LiMo)

Why major mobile handset makers are riding with LiMo

,----[ Quoet ]
| The LiMo Foundation was formed on January 2007 as a consortium of mobile
| industry companies joining together to create for handsets an open and
| standardized software platform based on Linux. Their goal is to deliver an
| open handset format that will become more widely accepted and used over
| closed, proprietary platforms. The foundation's major founders include
| Motorola, NEC, NTT DoCoMo, Panasonic Mobile Communications, Samsung
| Electronics and Vodafone. These companies and other members share leadership
| and decision making.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/031808-gillis.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Related:

LiMo Foundation aims to put Linux in your handset

,----[ Quote ]
| Purple Labs has joined the LiMo Foundation. Unless you're really in the know,
| you'll probably look at this announcement the same way I did. I said, "Who is
| Purple Labs, and what is the LiMo Foundation?" But more importantly, "Why is
| this important to me?"
|
| [...]
|
| Good technologies tend to eventually find their way into mainstream devices,
| regardless of whether they're adopted by an industry group. I suspect the
| same will be true for Linux, if it's not already true.
`----

http://www.embedded.com/columns/esdeic/206901035?_requestid=576147

World's mobile phone industry gathers in Barcelona

,----[ Quote ]
| "A lot of Internet players and media companies see in the mobile phone a way
| of accessing emerging markets where there are only a few computers and where
| the population has not heard of Facebook or Google," analyst Vincent Poulbere
| from consultancy Ovum told AFP before the event opened.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080211/tc_afp/spaintechnologytelecominternet

More heavyweights join mobile Linux group

,----[ Quote ]
| Orange and Access have become the latest significant companies to join the
| LiMo Foundation, a consortium aimed at promoting mobile Linux.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/0,1000000085,39292743,00.htm

MWC - Razr, others designated LiMo Linux phones

,----[ Quote ]
| The LiMo Foundation plans to announce 18 phones based on its platform,
| including some that are already on the market, on Monday at the Mobile World
| Congress in Barcelona.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/021108-mwc-razr-others-designated-limo.html

Orange Joins LiMo Foundation to Mobilise Linux Industry

,----[ Quote ]
| Orange today announced its entrance to the LiMo Foundation, a landmark move
| that marks a new era for mobile Linux, fostering unprecedented industry
| collaboration and a new future of exciting mobile services for customers.
`----

http://media.netpr.pl/notatka_93336.html

LiMo Gains Steam as Mobile Linux of Choice

,----[ Quote ]
| Several more members of the mobile Linux LiPS Forum are switching allegiance
| to the LiMo Foundation, this time including board and executive committee
| members, indicating that LiPS is losing steam. Orange and its parent France
| Telecom, Access and Open-Plug all plan to announce at the Mobile World
| Congress in Barcelona on Monday that they are joining LiMo.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/11/AR2008021100137.html

LG, Samsung bet on new mobile Linux platform

,----[ Quote ]
| The world's second largest cellphone maker Samsung, which has used Linux in
| its phones in 2006, launched new SGH-i800 phone model running on LiMo
| software at the Mobile World Congress trade show, while LG Electronics showed
| a prototype phone LG LiMo.
`----

http://uk.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUKL1149926420080211

LiMo's Linux phone platform nears launch

,----[ Quote ]
| On Monday, the Foundation will publish a beta version of the software's APIs
| (application programming interfaces) so that developers can begin writing
| applications to run on it.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/020408-limos-linux-phone-platform-nears.html

Azingo Launches Azingo Mobile, Industry's First Mobile Linux Platform Based on
LiMo Foundation Software

,----[ Quote ]
| Mobile Linux company Azingo, formerly Celunite, today announced Azingo
| Mobile, a comprehensive suite of open mobile software and services designed
| to help companies deliver web 2.0 applications, music, video, vivid graphics
| and more to a wide range of mobile phones
`----

http://www.centredaily.com/business/technology/story/367263.html

LiMo Foundation Selects Azingo as Core Technology Provider for Its . Common
Integration Environment

,----[ Quote ]
| Common Integration Environment 07/01/2008 18:13:00 Business Wire Azingo,
| formerly Celunite, developer of a next-generation mobile software platform
| based on Linux and other open source innovations, announced today at CES that
| its technology has been selected by the LiMo Foundation as core components of
| its Common Integration Environment (CIE).
`----

http://www.infobolsa.es/v2002/Noticias/noticias_titulares2.asp?Fuente=IBNW&FechaNot=20080107&Clasif=C&Numnot=106339
http://tinyurl.com/37ej5j

LiMo: New members added; First release on deck; Is the future about mobile
middleware?

,----[ Quote ]
| LiMo will announce Monday that Acrodea, ETRI, Huawei, Purple Labs and
| Trolltech are joining the consortium, which launched a year ago with founding
| members Motorola, NEC, NTT DoCoMo, Panasonic, Samsung and Vodafone.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=7495

Mobile Linux Group Gains New Associate Member

,----[ Quote ]
| Purple Labs, a supplier of embedded Linux solutions for mobile phones, has
| announced that it has joined the LiMo Foundation, which is developing a Linux
| based software platform for mobile phones. In joining the LiMo Foundation as
| an Associate member, Purple Labs becomes the first commercial Linux platform
| for feature phones in the consortium.
`----

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/28368.php

Celunite joins LiMo Foundation

,----[ Quote ]
| Celunite, developer of a next-generation mobile software platform based on
| Linux and other open source innovations, announced it has become the first
| mobile phone operating system provider to join the LiMo Foundation, an
| independent, not-for-profit entity that strives to increase the adoption of
| Linux within the mobile industry.
`----

http://www.letsgomobile.org/en/1767/limo-foundation/

Symbian senior VP defects to mobile Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The LiMo (Linux Mobile) Foundation, an industry group building a common
| software stack for Linux-based mobile phones, today announced a dozen new
| members. The organization also disclosed that rival Symbian's longtime Senior
| VP of Sales and Professional Services, Morgan Gillis, will soon become its
| Executive Director.

LiMo Foundation Announces Membership Surge

,----[ Quote ]
| World’s first global mobile Linux initiative announces rapid early expansion
| of membership as powerful ecosystem begins to take shape
`----

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070806005638&newsLang=en

Wind River Joins LiMo Foundation, Reinforces Commitment to Reduce Complexity of
Linux for Mobile Handsets

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070806005312&newsLang=en

Broadcom Joins the LiMo Foundation as a Leading Semiconductor Provider for
Mobile Linux(R) Solutions

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.stockhouse.ca/news/news.asp?tick=VOD&newsid=6113695