[News] Development and Security Advantages of Open Source Software Explained

  • Subject: [News] Development and Security Advantages of Open Source Software Explained
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 04:41:17 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Better also from a development viewpoint (not just money):

SourceForge's Larry Augustin: A Better Way to Build Web Apps

,----[ Quote ]
| LinuxInsider: When you helped build what would become the open source
| developers network, did you anticipate that this type of software would
| become so integral to modern programming?
|
| Larry Augustin: It's really tough to go back and put yourself back in that
| mindset. We all had a sense at the time [that software development] was a
| one-way street. That's what's interesting about open source and the GPL. Once
| software goes into the GPL, you can't take it back. People can stop
| contributing, but the code that exists, people can continue to develop on it.

More secure:

Mozilla's Security Guru Window Synder on Openness as a Padlock
                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
,----[ Quote ]
| In 2006, Mozilla's Firefox Internet browser boasted a mere nine days of
| vulnerability (the time between when a security threat is discovered and when
| it's fixed) compared with Internet Explorer's whopping 284 days. While the
| latter reigns as the most popular browser for U.S. users, it's clear that
| Mountain View, Calif.-based Mozilla is working feverishly to ensure that
| cyber-surfers using its system are kept safe from hackers, phishers and other
| online threats.

New major release:

SpringSource Releases Tool Suite

,----[ Quote ]
| SpringSource, the company behind the Spring Framework, is rolling out the
| SpringSource Tool Suite.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Application-Development/SpringSource-Releases-Tool-Suite/

Recent:

The Total Growth of Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| The significance of open source has been continuously increasing over time.
| Our research validates this claim by looking at the total growth of open
| source. Our work shows that the additions to open source projects, the total
| project size (measured in source lines of code), the number of new open
| source projects, and the total number of open source projects are growing at
| an exponential rate.
|
| Our results open gates for further research around the growth of open source
| and the acceptance of open source in industry and government. Future research
| should explore questions like what factors are influencing this exponential
| growth, how source code growth relates to the number of engaged software
| developers, and whether or how long open source can sustain this exponential
| growth.
`----

http://www.riehle.org/publications/2008/the-total-growth-of-open-source/

Microsoft's SEC filing

,----[ Quote ]
| [Microsoft:] A prominent example of open source software is the Linux
| operating system..... To the extent open source software gains increasing
| market acceptance, sales of our products may decline, we may have to reduce
| the prices we charge for our products, and revenue and operating margins may
| consequently decline.
`----

http:// www. microsoft.com/msft/SEC/default.mspx

Feeling the heat at Microsoft