[News] GNU/Linux Desktops Get the Job Done, SourceLabs Adds Linux Support

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Desktops Get the Job Done, SourceLabs Adds Linux Support
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 23:11:32 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Getting Stuff Done on Linux [Part 1]

,----[ Quote ]
| One thing you hear often about Linux is that there’s no software for it. This
| is simply not true. There may not be much proprietary software for it, but
| there is some, and there are plenty of free alternatives to what most offices
| use every day.
|
| This is just a quick overview of some of the programs out there, and it’s the
| first of two parts.This first posting focuses on applications for creating
| content. The next one will be more internet-based. I’ll go more in-depth into
| some of them at a later time. Many of these are also available on Windows and
| OSX, so you can experiment with them in the comfort of whatever OS you’re
| used to without making a commitment to switch. This listing is focused
| primarily on the types of things that are commonly needed for work- or
| school-related tasks, not necessarily for home desktop use.
`----

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/getting-stuff-done-on-linux-part-1/

SourceLabs Offers Self-Support for Linux, Java

,----[ Quote ]
| Self-Support Suite includes diagnostic tools to scan a crash on a system and
| then dial into the SourceLabs Intelligence Engine, a knowledgebase with over
| 16 million previously described and categorized issues with Linux, Java, and
| related open source software. The tool supports Red Hat Enterprise Linux,
| Novell SUSE, the CentOS clone of RHEL, Ubuntu, and Debian Linuxes, and dozens
| of popular packages commonly used to deploy Java applications on Linux
| machines.
`----

http://www.itjungle.com/tlb/tlb031808-story06.html

Related:

The top Linux support weaknesses, then and now

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2003, SearchEnterpriseLinux.com visited the Linux support landscape
| with a list of Linux support weaknesses. A lot has happened over the
| past four years, as is evident in the success of Red Hat and
| Novell's subscription-based support models and the meteoric
| rise of commercial-grade Ubuntu support, to name a few.
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1262974,00.html

A Perception of Lack of Support for Open Source Should Not Stop Adoption of
Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://lawtech.wordpress.com/2008/03/01/support-linux-open-source/