Re: [News] [Rival] 'President' Gates Instructs Nation to Train in Redmond, Then Offshore

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
US Congress members push Gates's line on visas

,----[ Quote ]
| Texan Republican Lamar Smith then stepped in with an even more radical bill, | called the Strengthening United States Technology and Innovation Now (or | Sustain) Act in which he urged the House to triple the H-1B cap from 65,000 | to 195,000 for 2008 and 2009. `----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/17/h1b_reform_bills_gates/

This is ridiculous. They kill an economy for the sake of a corporation. Are
corporations above the government now?

Related:

Guess Who's Getting the Most Work Visas

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft (MSFT) and Intel (INTC) are the only two traditional U.S. tech | companies among the top 10. Microsoft received 959 visa petition approvals, | or one fifth as many as Infosys, while Intel got 369. `----

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/08_11/b4075062465238.htm?campaign_id=yhoo

Study: There Is No Shortage of U.S. Engineers

,----[ Quote ]
| ...a new study from Duke University calls this argument bunk, stating
| that there is no shortage of engineers in the United States, and
| that offshoring is all about cost savings.

From my own recent perspective of putting a son through college. Getting a 4 year engineering degree probably costs conservatively around $100K (It cost me more, but it is a nice round number). I would submit many will go into debt for this effort. On the other side, it will take a long time to pay this off at present entry level salaries.

Let's face it, global companies do not want to pay salaries that would encourage more domestic people to invest in the professional training required. The education cost in the US are out of balance with the global market salaries. Making education costs for critical skills education tax deductible would be a better option then expanding visas.