Re: [News] [Rival] Quebec Government Agency Sued for Microsoftification

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Savoir-Fair Linux, Inc. sues Quebec government agency over Microsoft
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | [PJ: It's in French, but the general translation is that you can find at
> | [the
> | link the documents regarding a lawsuit a company called Savoir-Faire
> | Linux, Inc. has filed in the Superior Court of Quebec against the
> | government's pension plan for choosing Microsoft software without
> | putting the job out publicly for bid. It seems the law in Quebec is very
> | strict that the government is supposed to publish an invitation to
> | tender for any acquisition of more than $25,000, and this job was a good
> | deal more than that.
> |
> | I gather Savoir-Faire Linux's position is that only open standards,
> | formats and protocols are suitable to match the demands of a public
> | market policy upholding four fundamental principles: act in an
> | transparent way, favor strong competition, favor local economic
> | development, get the best overall cost.]
> `----
>
> http://www.groklaw.net/newsitems.php
>
> Watch out, MSBBC. :-)
>

> Related:
>
> BBC Director General grilled by MPs on iPlayer
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | During the meeting there is discussion of iPlayer?s total cost to the
> | licence fee-payer - the BBC representatives are unable to give a figure,
> | but start the bidding at £20m, excluding staff costs. Thomson gives
> | incorrect information - that Mac and Linux versions of iPlayer have the
> | same functionality as Windows versions - and has to change his evidence
> | at the end. Perhaps it was this confusion that prompted Dr John Pugh MP
> | to follow up the encounter with a letter direct to Mark Thomson today
> | discussing platform neutrality in greater detail. A copy of this letter
> | has been passed to the Open Rights Group.
> `----
>
> http://www.openrightsgroup.org/2008/01/10
bbc-director-general-grilled-by-mps-on-iplayer/

Interesting - so a good way to gets governments on the right track
of value for money is to pack the meetings for a public grilling.

Sounds to me Massachussetts should be doing the same thing
and include subpoena to fraudsters like micoshaft and extend
it to who and what they hired or did during the critical days leading in
and out of decision time. There should be a pay back day
for politicians beaten up by big corporation.