Re: Mono Irrelevant, Novell Promotes It, Eclipse Replaces It

  • Subject: Re: Mono Irrelevant, Novell Promotes It, Eclipse Replaces It
  • From: whitemice <adamtaunowilliams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 07:30:16 -0700 (PDT)
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
> | agreements in place. The Mono contributors have also pointed to the published
> | ECMA specs for C# as the basis for their work, and have consistently said
> | they remain ready to rewrite any portion of Mono that Microsoft should some
> | day assert claims against (so far, there have been no such claims).

What a silly assertion.  Any code in any project that violates a
patent MUST be remove and/or rewritten.
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The Eclipse organization has amassed a huge installed base of developers
> | using its Java-based open source development tools. Now the organization has
> | set its sights on the run-time arena and will take on Sun's Java and
> | Microsoft's .NET with what it says is an agnostic open source component model
> | that runs across multiple operating systems and computing tiers.
> `----

Silly, again.  Don't equate Eclipse development with Java
development.  Eclipse is used to develop in a variety of languages
include C# (.NET) and PHP.  Eclipse is an IDE.

> Tasky, another good tool, another bad idea
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Because it's written in C#. And guess what? Copyright (C) 2007 Novell, Inc.

Silly.  All code is copyrighted.  If it isn't copyrighted it CANNOT be
Open Source, because it means there is no one with authority to
dictate a license.  Non-copyrighted code is public domain.

> | is Mono's role in the deal that of a hook to make customers write
> | .NET applications because they can be run on Linux - only to find
> | later on that they are armless or legless because of a change in
> | the .NETspecifications, a change which Microsoft decides not to
> | make public?

Silly, since that would break all .NET applications and M$ could kiss
off all the existing developers and applications.

> | And here we have an individual who decides to replicate one of
> | the proprietary company's development environments - for reasons
> | best known to him alone - and keeps telling people that the reason
> | he's doing it is so that he can pull people over from the
> | proprietary company's side to his side!!!

And people on Usenet shouldn't be absurd and simplistic.