Re: [News] Free Red Hat-like Linux Distribution Challenges Cisco

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DFS
<nospam@xxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Mon, 17 Mar 2008 21:07:59 -0500
<KBEDj.21439$r76.17074@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Vyatta Scales to 10 Gigabit Environments
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> "Vyatta is doing for networking what Linux has done for operating
>>> systems." `----
>
> Failed for 15 years straight to gain any appreciable user base?

20+.  Remember before Linux there was Minix, which
never really got anywhere against MS-DOS.  Linux is a
quasi-derivative of Minix (and in fact Linus apparently
wrote it to get around Minix's limiting memory model).

If one wants to mention that other OS (the four-letter
"U" word), one can get this up to almost 40 years (since
then-Bell Labs released a version in 1969--where does the
time go?).  Obviously Linux has failed for over 40 years
to gain any following at all...

(Oh, wait, should I mention Microsoft first released
Windows in 1983, more than 10 years after Unix?  Oh well.
Bad logic only goes so far...)

>> http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080317005578&newsLang=en
>>
>> Vyatta Delivers 10X Price/Performance Advantage Over Cisco 7200
>
> Not so good, considering Linux is 50x faster than Windows.

Nono, it's the other way around.  Of course it depends on how one
measures the issue.

Linux:
   - Video run speed: varies, but one might get double the frame
     rate on games such as Quake
   - Download speed: as fast as the hardware can take it
   - Installation time: ~15 minutes.
   - little or no bit rot

Windows:
   - Video run speed: varies, sometimes it's adequate, other times
     it verges on bad.
   - Download speed: If you're lucky, same as Linux.  If not, well...
     Depends on antivirus scanning and such as well.
   - Installation time: 30 seconds.
   - likes to slow down and take it easy after awhile

So there you go.  Windows is 30 times faster than Linux. ;-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #7878218:
class C { private: virtual void stupid() = 0; };