[News] Newly-released PC-BSD 1.5 Reviewed, Comes with Compiz Fusion

  • Subject: [News] Newly-released PC-BSD 1.5 Reviewed, Comes with Compiz Fusion
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 13:20:23 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
First look at PC-BSD 1.5

,----[ Quote ]
| Compiz Fusion is included in this release and worked really well. There's a
| menu entry which, when clicked, asks if you'd like to enable it at boot. When
| clicked, Compiz Fusion is immediately enabled and special effects are
| available. I didn't suffer any instability or performance issues when using
| this application, but it did seem to require the restart of X to disable the
| feature.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20080317#feature

Even the BSDs appear to leave Windows behind, but it depends on the target
user.

Recent:

iXsystems Announces Release of PC-BSD Version 1.5, Edison Edition

,----[ Quote ]
| iXsystems announced today the release of PC-BSD Edison Edition. PC-BSD is a
| fully functional open source desktop operating system based on FreeBSD
| 6.3-STABLE. FreeBSD is one of the most used UNIX-like operating systems in
| the world and is widely renowned as the most stable and secure server
| operating system. PC-BSD has a Push-Button Installer (PBI) wizard developed
| exclusively for PC-BSD that lets users download and install a wide range of
| available applications in a self-extracting and self-installing format.
`----

http://www.pcbsd.org/content/view/56/26/

My Vietnamese Students used PC-BSD

,----[ Quote ]