Re: HELP! I'm getting spammed and DDOS attacked from 84.18.207.65

> ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Thursday 06 March 2008 21:47 : \____
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Tony Drudge
>> <tonydrudge@xxxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote
>> on Thu, 6 Mar 2008 16:20:31 -0500
>> <47d05497$0$26076$88260bb3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> Luckily my firewall is blocking the attacks from 84.18.207.65 but is there
>>> anything else that I can do?
>>>
>>> tia,
>>> - Tony D.
>>>

>> Good question, and you're way off the beaten path for
>> technical assistance.  I'll do what little I can...
>>
>> Best I can do is note that a reverse DNS lookup suggests
>> that it's banana.catalyst2.com (a forward DNS lookup
>> confirms this); Catalyst2 appears to be a web hosting
>> site.  You might contact them and tell them you're being
>> inundated.
>>
>> (Yes, there's an apple.catalyst2.com.  It uses IIS6.
>> Go fig.
>> Yes, there's an apricot.catalyst2.com, but it's
>> not taking requests.
>> Yes, there's a fig.catalyst2.com, which responds RedHat/Apache.
>> Fruity mix they've got there.)
>>
>> Banana appears to be a *Linux* site; banana.catalyst2.com
>> is showing a "Congratulations, Apache is working" page as
>> of this moment.
>>
>> As for your firewall blocking attacks from this
>> site...let's just say that even though your firewall is
>> blocking the attacks, there's only so much it can do as
>> the attacks are sucking bandwidth from your uplinks.
>
> Microsoft shills must be really worried if it start harassing my Web host using
> lies.

Things are not going well for Microsoft at the moment, so rather than
fix their own problems, they will try to blame this on outside
interests.  Quite how a handful of people on the internet could ever
possibly bring a multi-million Dollar company to this state is beyond
me, in reality, it takes years and years worth of bad management to
achieve such a thing.

Still, it's kind of flattering that even the idea that a few messages on
usenet could be seen as being enough to bring down an empire.