[News] The 100,000,000 Downloads of MySQL and Rise of the Free Software Database

  • Subject: [News] The 100,000,000 Downloads of MySQL and Rise of the Free Software Database
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 05:08:50 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Mera SQL, dil mangey more!

,----[ Quote ]
| Then in 1996 a Swedish startup came up with the idea of creating a data base
| — or Structured Query Language (SQL), you ask questions of your data, any way
| you want — entirely in the Open Source arena.
|
| What’s more, it was meant for people to use with Web applications — and it
| would be free.
|
| MySQL was born and after 100 million downloads, it is one of the most popular
| Web-centric data base tools in use today.
`----

http://www.hindu.com/2008/03/16/stories/2008031655781100.htm

The Open-Source Database Gets Its Due

,----[ Quote ]
| In the past there has been no real alternative to proprietary databases. That
| has changed, at least for new applications that have no legacy database
| dependencies. The relative proportion of hardware and software purchase
| prices has been changing, too, and for some years software has gradually been
| consuming ever-larger slices of the pie. In recent times the pace has
| accelerated, though, as commodity-priced hardware has become much more
| powerful and database prices have increased.
|
| For the most part, customers still have not entirely woken up to these
| trends. But if they ever do, we may see a significant shift in the database
| market. Is it possible that the perfect storm for proprietary databases is
| brewing?
`----

http://www.bmighty.com/blog/main/archives/2008/03/the_opensource.html

Databases slowly become a commodity, just like many things in software...
Starting at the bottom end and expanding to the high-end (probably the
opposite in the case of Linux, which takes over supercomputers).

Related:

The end of the proprietary database?

,----[ Quote ]
| While Packer does not believe that proprietary databases are doomed, he does
| see the writing on the wall in emerging markets and that the increased use of
| open source will eventually surround proprietary databases in established
| markets. Unless the proprietary suppliers respond they risk losing business
| in the long-term.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2007/12/17/the-end-of-the-proprietary-database/

Are Open-Source Databases Ready for Production Applications?

,----[ Quote ]
| Yes, more and more, depending on the application.
|
| Oracle became the leading database in the 1990s because it ran better on
| high-end SMP Unix servers. But in those days most applications were still
| just dumb terminals talking to the big Unix box. So the database software had
| to be very sophisticated to perform well.

PostgreSQL publishes first real benchmark

,----[ Quote ]
| This publication shows that a properly tuned PostgreSQL is not only as
| fast or faster than MySQL, but almost as fast as Oracle (since the
| hardware platforms are different, it's hard to compare directly).
| This is something we've been saying for the last 2 years, and now we
| can prove it.
|
| [...]
|
| I'll continue this later this week with a discussion of what SpecJAppserver
| is, what it measures, and how the Spec organization is warming up to open
| source.
|
| Regardless, this is a good day for PostgreSQL and open source.
`----

http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/database/soup/archives/postgresql-publishes-first-real-benchmark-17470

Old:

The Grill: MySQL's Marten Mickos on the Hot Seat

,----[ Quote ]
| And despite openly admitting that it gets paid by only one of every
| thousand users, MySQL is thriving, to the point that the company is
| planning an initial public offering.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=294422

Next Gen, Mission-Critical Apps To Be Deployed on Linux Says Report

,----[ Quote ]
| By now it should be obvious to even the most casual industry observers
| that Linux operating systems - and open source-based software in general -
| have reached critical marketplace mass. Recent Linux deals and
| announcements by Oracle and Microsoft have only reinforced the "open
| source is enterprise-grade" message that IBM, Unisys and other "Master
| Brand" hardware, software and services vendors have been preaching for
| years. In short, open source, especially Linux, is becoming "legitimized"
| by the major vendors for enterprise environments, and user executives
| are more than happy to believe them.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/RoundUp/Next_Gen_MissionCritical_Apps_To_Be_Deployed_on_Linux_Says_Report

CIO study finds Linux ready for prime-time

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=7681