[News] German Mayor Opposes OOXML, Uses ODF and GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] German Mayor Opposes OOXML, Uses ODF and GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 15:39:33 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Münchner Oberbürgermeister lehnt ISO-Standardisierung von OOXML ab

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/Muenchner-Oberbuergermeister-lehnt-ISO-Standardisierung-von-OOXML-ab--/meldung/105074

GL has the translation:

Mayor of Munich opposes OOXML being made a Standard (German)

,----[ Quote ]
| Munich's mayor Christian Ude says in a letter to the Federal Minister for
| Economics and Technology, Michael Glos, he thinks there should be a
| clear "no" to the standardization of OOXML. The German Institute for
| Standardization (DIN) is currently evaluating how to vote in the ISO
| standardisation procedure. All the city needs, Ude indicates, is OpenDocument
| Format (ODF), already an ISO standard, and he believes competition is
| weakened by a competiting standards....
`----

http://www.groklaw.net/newsitems.php

Here is a world of diversity and choice (life beyond monoculture):

Free/Open-source Word Processors

,----[ Quote ]
| A word processor, as you may all know, is a computer application that is used
| for the production (including composition, editing, formatting, and possibly
| printing) of any sort 0f printable material. It is considered as one of the
| earliest applications for the personal computer in office productivity.
`----

http://junauza.blogspot.com/2008/03/freeopen-source-word-processors.html

Munich's migration to GNU/Linux was successful and a lot of eyes use it as a
case study. Therefore, the Munchkins would lie through their teeth telling a
bogus story.

Related:

LiMux The Penguin: Deep into Munich?s Linux F/OSS migration

,----[ Quote ]
| Munich's Linux migration has been a publicity frenzy, a
| software patent poster child, and the subject of a debate
| on the role of government in technology mandates. Now it's
| a real-life IT project, and the key to success is training,
| management, and replacing 170 non-Linux applications.
|
| [...]
|
| Now, after enormous criticism and a nearly complete halt,
| it's becoming a successful migration if for very important
| reasons: it's going well, quietly, and on plan.
`----                       ^^^^^^^

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2006/110606-munich-linux.html

Munich mayor: Full speed ahead to open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Although numerous other European cities are closely
| following the LiMux project, Hoegner is hesitant to
| estimate how many will ever take the leap and deploy
| open source on a large scale. "Politicians don't know
| enough about open source and are worried about making
| a mistake," he said. "Believe me, my head would have
| been on the block if things had backfired here."
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/10/24/HNmunichopensource_1.html?source=rss&url=http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/10/24/HNmunichopensource_1.html
http://tinyurl.com/yck48j

Old:

Munich Linux scales desktop management

,----[ Quote ]
| The City of Munich has developed impressive systems
| for rolling out and maintaining Linux desktops for
| large numbers of users, according to a British
| developer who had a close-up view of the system.
|
| [...]
|
| "Most of the work has been in configuration and
| systems... rather than custom packages on the clients
| themselves," McIntyre said in a blog post last week.
| "The vast majority of the packages installed come
| straight from the standard Debian archive."
|
| [...]
|
| LiMux developers have automated installation via
| Debian's FAI (fully automatic installation) system,
| according to McIntyre, with configuration information
| stored in LDAP and the database administration
| program GOsa as a front-end. "They've integrated
| these to enable some very clever management features
| so that all aspects of the city-wide system can be
| maintained from one central point," McIntyre said.
`----

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?newsID=7161&pagtype=samechan

Munich Begins to Switch Windows Out for Linux

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.cio.com/blog_view.html?CID=25009