[News] Red Hat Summit 2008 (Video, OGG); Fedora 9 Gets OpenJDK

  • Subject: [News] Red Hat Summit 2008 (Video, OGG); Fedora 9 Gets OpenJDK
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 04:49:52 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Video: Summit 2008 preview

,----[ Quote ]
| Whether you’re a returning guest or a just thinking about attending, the Red
| Hat Summit is fast approaching. Check out this year’s Summit preview video,
| and when you’re done, hit the event website and get the details.
`----

http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2008/03/13/video-summit-2008-preview/

OpenJDK in Fedora 9!

,----[ Quote ]
| “OpenJDK contributes ~99% of the code in the java-1.6.0-openjdk package and
| IcedTea continues to provide autotools support, a portable interpreter for
| ppc and ppc64 support, plugin support, Web Start support and patches to
| integrate OpenJDK into Fedora. The IcedTea sources are included in the
| java-1.6.0-openjdk SRPM.”
`----

http://langel.wordpress.com/2008/03/13/openjdk-in-fedora-9/
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats/Java

Related to this (direct competition to dot NOT).

Other languages key to Java's future

,----[ Quote ]
| It is not the Java language that's important - it is the platform that has
| grown around it.
|
| That's according to one veteran of architecture, design and distributed
| systems development now in the thick of training developers, who reckons the
| continued success of Java depends on its ability to adapt to modern
| development demands.
|
| Venkat Subramaniam, the chairman of software training company Agile
| Developer, told QCon Java has grown beyond a language and the excitement is
| now centered on the combination of the Java platform with dynamic languages
| such as Groovy, JRuby and Jython.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/03/14/java_platform_scripting_languages/

Related:

Fedora 9 Rawhide

,----[ Quote ]
| The beta release of Fedora 9 has been pushed back another week to March 20,
| because of stability issues, but to see the progress made by the Fedora / Red
| Hat developers we did a clean Rawhide installation. Some of the features that
| have been shaping up well for Fedora 9 include EXT4 file-system support,
| encrypted file-system support, Firefox 3.0 integration, GCC 4.3 support,
| enhanced NetworkManager capabilities with "out of the box" support mobile
| broadband (GSM/CDMA) devices, inclusion of PackageKit, and Upstart replacing
| SysVinit. Some of the packages currently making up Fedora 9 include GNOME
| 2.21.92, Linux 2.6.25 RC, X Server 1.5.0 RC 0, and OpenOffice.org 2.4.0. For
| your viewing pleasure, here are a few screenshots of the latest Fedora 9
| Rawhide code as of today.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=fedora9_rawhide&num=1

Fedora, Getting Involved Guide (GIG)

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently, I’ve been very interested in getting involved more and more with
| the Fedora Project.  In fact, the latest project in which I’m involved, the
| Getting Involved Guide (GIG).
`----

http://fedora-tutorials.com/2008/02/28/fedora-getting-involved-guide-gig/

New Fedora Chair plans to remove obstacles for volunteers

,----[ Quote ]
| "The job is to remove obstacles in the way of the community," says Paul W.
| Frields, speaking about his new position as Fedora Chair. After only a few
| weeks in the position, Frields is still learning his way around and getting
| to know his colleagues, but already this vision is a common refrain in his
| comments, underlying all his comments about what he hopes the Fedora project
| will achieve while he is coordinating its efforts.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/127802

Fedora on the Final Frontier

,----[ Quote ]
| There has been a long standing rumor regarding NASA running Fedora which all
| of us in the Fedora community have been always intrigued by. Is it true? What
| are they doing with it there? Why don't they run RHEL. Fortunately enough, a
| couple of weeks ago, I got to experience NASA behind the scenes, first hand,
| and hang out with the coolest members of the Fedora community, and find out
| the answer to these questions and lots more.
`----

http://jaboutboul.blogspot.com/2008/02/fedora-on-final-frontier.html

23,000 Linux PCs forge education revolution in Philippines

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1163450117