[News] Linux Might Soon Spread to ALL Russian Schools!!

Down with Windows! Russian schools turn to free software

,----[ Quote ]
| A free online alternative to the Windows operating system is set to be
| introduced in schools in three Russian regions by 2009. If the pilot project
| proves successful, all schools across the country will make the switch a year
| later.
`----

http://www.russiatoday.ru/news/news/22094

Recent:

http://www.microsoft.com/msft/SEC/default.mspx

“A prominent example of open source software is the Linux operating system.
Although we believe our products provide customers with significant advantages
in security, productivity, and total cost of ownership, the popularization of
the open source software model continues to pose a significant challenge to
our business model, including continuing efforts by proponents of open source
software to convince governments worldwide to mandate the use of open source
software in their purchase and deployment of software products. To the extent
open source software gains increasing market acceptance, sales of our products
may decline, we may have to reduce the prices we charge for our products, and
revenue and operating margins may consequently decline. ”

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

| you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

Open Source Market: FOSS getting hot in Russia

,----[ Quote ]
| Recent interest towards FOSS from the Russian government has boosted
| commercial activity in this field. No longer than a year ago there was no
| single large company that would say it is capable of doing FOSS system
| integration projects. Now there are three, and the number will probably grow.
|
| Nobody is particularly sure about how to do business with FOSS, but it is
| already evident that it can be done somehow. That is why the larger ones are
| jumping on the bandwagon simply not to be late.
`----

http://robertogaloppini.net/2008/03/12/open-source-market-foss-getting-hot-in-russia/

Related:

2010: Russia's open software market to grow 4-fold

,----[ Quote ]
| Analysts note that Linux vendors are traditionally present on the mobile
| device market. According to forecasts the OS might become the leader in
| the segment accounting for 40% of it by 2010. ?Currently the share of
| mobile devices with Linux OS is not big in Russia as compared to other
| countries, such as China, for instance. However, the producer's policy,
| Nokia in particular testifies to the fact the situation is changing
| for the better", Ms. Karaeva concluded.
`----

http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn.shtml?2007/05/15/249978

Mandriva Linux selected as "Product of the Year 2007" at the Russian Softool
event

,----[ Quote ]
| Mandriva has been selected as 'Product of the Year 2007' in the Linux
| category at the Softool exhibition in Moscow. The 'Product of the Year 2007'
| competition was held by the department of information technologies and
| computing systems of the Russian Academy of Sciences, the Federal Agency of
| Information Technologies, the publishing house SK Press, and IT-expo.
|
| [...]
|
| Mandriva Linux will also soon be certified by the Federal Service of Export
| and Technical Control, allowing public sector agencies and organizations
| dealing with confidential information to use Mandriva Linux.
`----

http://www.linuxlookup.com/2007/nov/19/mandriva_linux_selected_as_product_of_the_year_2007_at_the_russian_softool_event

Russian public agencies choose Mandriva

,----[ Quote ]
| Mandriva development is carried out jointly by Mandriva's offices in Russia,
| France and Brazil. The Mandriva Linux OS is thus considered a national OS for
| Russia. The decision of FSTEC of the Russian Federation (RF) implied that
| Russian public agencies will be authorised to use the Mandriva Linux OS on
| PCs running confidential information.
`----

http://www.mandriva.com/company/press/pr/russian_public_agencies_choose_mandriva

Russian Government Will Migrate to OpenSource

,----[ Quote ]
| Russia decided to follow after EU countries, where opensource
| solutions are more spread then in Russia. Currently, some Russian
| companies can offer their own Desktop Linux OS (the major companies
| are ASPLinux, ALTLinux, Linux-Online and LinuxCenter).
`----

http://danays.blogspot.com/2006/12/russian-government-will-migrate-to.html

Russian schools abandon Windows after piracy scare

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft says that the incident has nothing to do with them, but it
| appears that Russian schools in the area are so scared about being shipped
| off to a Siberian Gulag, that they are buying Linux gear instead.
|
| [..]
|
| According to Karpushin, schools would start using freely distributed
| software like the Linux OS, Russky office and Open office desktop apps,
| Ekho Moskvi reports.

Linux Education in America: Inspiration from Russia?

,----[ Quote ]
| The reason that the Russian announcement is funny boils down to the
| perception over the years that Russia equates to totalitarianism, whilst here
| in America we're all about Freedom and innovation. Yet our educational
| system -- the very underpinnings of how we're growing out future
| technological talent, is based upon the inversion of what one would expect
| given the respective reputations of both countries.

Russia is latest country to move towards OpenDocument format and open standards

,----[ Quote ]
| The stated rationale for this legislation is that “open standards will
| contribute to an increased number of bidders for government contracts and
| will increase opportunities for Russian software developers... [and] the
| problem of interoperability will be addressed as will the ability to access
| information into the future.”
`----

http://www.itrportal.com/absolutenm/templates/article-docsoft.aspx?articleid=4410&zoneid=57

Russian Linux (ALTLinux) to be installed in every school in Russia

,----[ Quote ]
| Russian OS is to be installed on every school computer in Russia by 2009.
| Furthermore, every pupil will get the opportunity to operate the applied
| software produced in Russia, Leonid Reiman, acting Minister of Communication
| stated at a press conference. According to Mr. Reiman, that might
| significantly reduce Russian dependence on foreign software.
`----

http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn.shtml?2007%2F09%2F14%2F266177

Linux being launched at schools

,----[ Quote ]