Re: [News] GNU/Linux Has Spread Everywhere, But Very Quietly

____/ Mark Kent on Friday 14 March 2008 06:52 : \____

> El Tux <nope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> It is amazing how many corporations have made deals with the devil over
>>> the years.
>>> (snip)
>>
>> Some of 'em didn't have much choice, but that was then. With the EU
>> Commission on the job now, Asus has a choice. If they stand up for
>> themselves I'll probably give the next Eee a try (rumors are that it'll
>> have a 10.4" screen!). If they sell out and want me to pay a "Microsoft
>> Tax", then I'll just wait for someone else to get it right.
>
> Snap.  I'm still trying to get hold of one for No1 son, but if Asus do
> start shipping a Windows version, I'll look for something else, as I've
> no desire to pay for Windows licences in any way, even in some blended
> form.

The Scalix man (now Xandros) told me that Asus needn't pay Microsoft. Comment
here:

"You mention another product that we’re related with, the eeePC. Same story on
that side - no impact or royalties to Redmond in this case, most of it open
source, the stuff that’s not ours and Asus’ own development, and given the
numbers this little thingy leaves the building in, actually one of the most
successful end-user products based on open technology, ever."

http://boycottnovell.com/2008/01/10/scalix-patent-tax-protocols/

Someone else told me (in private) that Microsoft gave away XP to ASUS for a low
price, just because of its fear of Linux I suppose. XP won't be available for
much longer and Vista can hardly move on the Eee unless it's reformed to
become a $800 Ooo PC (as in "Oh oh, ouch"). Microsoft, by the way, knows this
very well. I wonder if the OLPC-tailored XP has something to do with this.

Microsoft loves competition.
"I’m thinking of hitting the OEMs harder than in the past with anti-Linux. ...
they should do a delicate dance"
                --Joachim Kempin, Microsoft OEM Chief
Cpu(s): 25.7%us,  4.0%sy,  1.0%ni, 64.6%id,  4.3%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.1%si,  0.0%st