Re: [News] Google's Linux-based Android Seen as Major Part of the Future

____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Thursday 13 March 2008 23:15 : \____

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=206903247&subSection=News

>> Why do they rant its Linux when the apps are not native Linux
>> applications?
>
> ??
>
> I see no rant here at all, except a plea for continued Net
> neutrality (briefly put, the Net should not discriminate
> against the competition when it comes to routing packets,
> data, or both).
>
> It turns out the MPAA has a slightly different opinion...
>
> ($100/month??  And I thought cable was bad...)
>

>> The future of mobile is going to happen ONLY with
>> Linux and Linux based telephony applications with standard
>> PC developer systems like gcc, gtk / kde.
>
> Debatable, though no other freeware OS is really ready to
> step into the breach at this point.
>

>> The longer they resist the more time and money they loose.
>>

> We'll see.  Certainly the Orange Phone isn't exactly
> getting a lot of buzz anymore. ;-)  But Symbian still holds
> a goodly fraction of the market, last I looked, although
> Google's Android looks poised to make a run for it.

Did you see what happened to Nokia after this week's disappointing outlook from
TI? Either way, the worry is that Nokia is a little too close to Microsoft.
Microsoft DRM, anti-Ogg, Silverfish, pro-software patents, etc. This kind of
ruins the upsides like Maemo and Qt.

Roy S. Schestowitz     | GPL - Global Programmer's Law
 02:05:01 up 49 days, 11:59,  7 users,  load average: 2.52, 2.14, 1.88