[News] Sun Chief Explains Why FOSS Development Simply Works Better

  • Subject: [News] Sun Chief Explains Why FOSS Development Simply Works Better
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 22:44:12 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
The Adoption-Led Market

,----[ Quote ]
| The switch for a mesh topology in society has led to easy access for everyone
| to Free software created by open source communities. The result is an
| emerging approach which is rapidly spreading for smaller software projects
| and in my view is the future of all software acquisition. The emerging
| approach is an adoption-led market.
|
| In this approach, developers select from available Free software and try the
| software that fits best in their proposed application. They develop
| prototypes, switch packages as they find benefits and problems and finally
| create a deployable solution to their business problem. At that final point,
| assuming the application is sufficiently critical to the business to make it
| worthwhile to do so, they seek out vendors to provide support, services (like
| defect resolution) and more. Adoption-led users are not all customers; they
| only become so when they find a vendor with value to offer.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/webmink/entry/the_adoption_led_market

IBM takes a similar approach. New contribution:

IBM donates code to secure Ajax mashups

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM on Thursday said it is donating code for securing mashups to the Open
| Ajax Alliance, a group of vendors and open-source Ajax projects.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9893087-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Related:

Sun CEO: "Proprietary"...did more damage to sun than any market downturn

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/04/sun_ceo_proprie.html