[News] Microsoft and Its Linux Smears; WIntel's Otellini Grilled for Abuses

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft and Its Linux Smears; WIntel's Otellini Grilled for Abuses
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 20:00:38 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Fight The FUD: Lies, Damned Lies, And Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Obviously, any marketing tool based upon lies, slander, and rumor-mongering
| has some serious ethical issues. Just as obviously, that fact doesn't bother
| the companies that use it or the people they employ to perfect it. And while
| companies that play the FUD game sometimes come out winners, the same can't
| be said of customers who fall victim to the tactic.
|
| When it comes to Linux, Microsoft is the undisputed king of the FUD dungheap:
| The company's now-infamous "Get The Facts" campaign may be the single biggest
| disinformation campaign ever concocted by an IT company, although SCO's
| failed effort to sue Linux out of existence certainly rivals it.
`----

http://www.bmighty.com/blog/main/archives/2008/03/fight_the_fud_l.html

Otellini faced EU in closed session

,----[ Quote ]
| It is also defending itself to the European Commission anti trust court
| against allegations that it sold into the public sector at below cost and
| that it paid manufacturers to cancel AMD chip-based product launches. Intel
| denies doing anything wrong.
|
| AMD is making its presentations today, also behind closed doors.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/03/12/otellini-faced-eu-closed

Related:

Intel overwhelmed by EU complaints

,----[ Quote ]
| So many charges, so little time.
|
| Intel Chairman Craig Barrett appears overwhelmed by a European Union
| investigation into the company's actions. Earlier this month, European
| Competition Commission officials busted open Intel offices in Munich, hunting
| for documents related to alleged price fixing with retailers. That raid added
| to an existing EC investigation into Intel's business practices.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/02/22/intel_barrett_eu_gripe/

Laptop-Project Founder Faults Intel

,----[ Quote ]
| Oscar Becerra Tresierra, general director for educational technology at
| Peru's Ministry of Education, says that after the country recently agreed to
| buy 272,500 OLPC laptops for primary-school students, an Intel sales
|                                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^
| representative tried "to scare us" by claiming the machines and their power
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| adapters didn't work. "I don't feel very happy about it," he said. "We
| wouldn't like the project to fail because somebody is spreading gossip about
|                                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| the machines that doesn't turn out to be true."
`----

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119948070480568405.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Intel: doing the dirty on OLPC

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel’s agreement with the OLPC Foundation included a ‘non disparagement’
| clause, under which Intel and One Laptop promised not to criticize each
| other, according to Nicholas Negroponte in the latest article in the Wall
| Street Journal.
|
| Still Intel tactics have violated that repeatedly to kill OLPC efforts in
| Nigeria, Libya, Pakistan, India, China and Intel is also still trying to pull
| those tactics in Mexico, Brazil.
| This is simply disgracefull of Intel, scandalous.
|
| But Negroponte has signed an agreement saying that he is not allowed to
| criticize Intel, so he is not allowed to talk about these shameless tactics
| even though Intel is the one violating the agreement.
|
| So only independant voices on the Internet can get those messages of truth
| out about Intels tactics.
|
| In Nigeria, Intel came and donated 3000 laptops to counter OLPC efforts, then
| sells 17 thousand Classmates to Nigeria at a loss.
|
| Then Microsoft corrupted Nigerian officials with 400 thousand dollars to
| install Windows XP on those instead of Mandriva Linux.
`----

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/14124

Microsoft dropped Vista hardware spec to raise Intel profits

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/03/01/microsoft_intel_vista_capable_emails/

Microsoft 'Caves' To Intel

http://www.forbes.com/2008/02/28/microsoft-vista-intel-tech-ebiz-cx_wt_0228vista.html?partner=yahootix