Re: [News] Wal-Mart-Microsoft Ties, Well-orchestrated Media FUD

* Charlie Wilkes peremptorily fired off this memo:

> I sometimes get frustrated about the situation with Ubuntu.  On the one
> hand, it is an excellent OS, more stable than Windows, faster on
> comparable hardware, and with a better UI.  But when I run across a
> broken driver in the repository, that _wasn't_ broken in the previous
> version, it gives me pause...

Well, Windows updates that break things give me pause, too.

With Debian Lenny, I've noticed little changes and minor glitches now
and again as I do updates (usually do them every other day or so).
I don't use apt to update the kernel or nvidia stuff, I prefer doing
that manually.  So I've avoided those issues.  However, genisoimage
1.1.6 has a bug in Joliet (a Windows extension) support, so I've got it
held at 1.1.2, and the repository is /still/ at 1.1.6.

One other gotcha.  My VM stopped working one day.  After a good search,
found out that my /var was full.  Found about 6 Gb of old Deb packages
in /var/cache/apt/archives.  Multiple versions of each package.

I imagine Ubuntu auto-purges them.  (?)

--
There are no significant bugs in our released software that any significant
number of users want fixed.