Re: [News] Microsoft OOXML: Fail

Jim Richardson <warlock@xxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

> On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 07:27:24 +0000,
>  Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Jesper Lund Stocholm <jls2008@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>>> William Poaster <wp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in

>>> So you are saying that the information I have provided is false?
>>
>> You have spun well for your paymasters, however, nobody, anywhere, is
>> remotely convinced that you are acting for anything other than the
>> interests of Microsoft in your efforts to corrupt ISO, to push a
>> standard through on fast-track which is clearly not only widely
>> unsupported but so immature as to be next to worthless.
>>

> Mark, Jesper Lund Stocholm has been reasonable and polite. Perhaps you
> could try responding in kind.

Jim, I see nothing either unreasonable or impolite in the above.

>> We *know* that Microsoft could easily implement ODF it it wanted.
>> We *know* that Microsoft will "innovate" beyond OOXML anyway.
>> We *know* that OOXML in its present form is utterly incomplete and
>> unusable.
>>

> I don't trust MS, plain and simple. I don't think most of the people
> there are evil in the normal sense. But the company sure acts that way.
> Madness of crowds to a certain aspect.

Corporate cultures are very pervasive, as any large group cultures are.
Most people would struggle not to be affected by them.  The popular term
here for it is "going native".

>>> Strange ... :o)
>>>

>> Not really, you are here pushing the agenda of Microsoft.  Just like
>> you've been doing in ISO.
>>

> Seems fairly evenly balanced to me. ODF isn't perfect, and OOXML isn't
> evil incarnate.

Err, ODF is an existing standard, OOXML's only purpose is to prevent ODF
adoption and continue Microsoft's monopoly.  Standards bodies do not
exist for this purpose, therefore the whole OOXML action is an abuse.