Re: [News] A Look at GTK+ 3.0, Novell Unleashes Poison Factory

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 08:38:11 +0100, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> Rick wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 23:49:33 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> GTK+ 3.0: Getting serious.
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> ToolKit”, | it is now used in a plethora of applications. In fact,
>>> GTK+ is very popular. | GNOME, one of the leading desktop environment
>>> on Unix systems, uses GTK+ | almost exclusively. The Gimp is built
>>> upon GTK+, of course. And there are | many commercial software
>>> developers like Adobe, NVidia and VMware that | decided to use it as a
>>> base for their products. `----
>>>
>>> http://federkiel.wordpress.com/2008/03/12/gtk-30-getting-serious/
>>
>> Yeah, it is a shame KDE isn't built on gtk+.
>
> Why? GTK is, compared to KDEs infrastructure, a total mess. Have you
> ever looked with a programmers eye on both toolkits? KDE is vastly
> superior in that regard

>> I prefer KDE to Gnome, but generally use gtk apps.
>>
> Again, why? There are few which don't have  a good KDE counterpart.
> Granted, it makes no real difference for a user if he uses KDE or Gnome
> (as seen from the apps). If a Gnome/GTK app is run under KDE, it still
> runs just as well as if run under Gnome.

I like xchat and pidgin better than kopete. I lke gftp. I like pan better
than knode (or thunderbird for news). I like Firefox better than
Konqueror for browsing. I use Komposer or nvu to slap together simple web
pages. I have had mre success with gtk-record-mydesktop that with other
capture apps. I am evenly split between Amarok and xmms... it depends on
what I'm doing.

OTOH, I do use apps like Amarok, and k3b. And I do use a customized
version of Gnome-mix icons, and the qt-gtk theme engine, which lets gtk
apps use my kde styles.

And, yes, I know very well that gtk/gnome apps run well under KDE. As I
have said, that is one of the strengths of both KDE and Gnome.

--
Rick