[News] [Rival] Register Article About Ditching Windows Vista Attracts Heaps of Sympathy

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Register Article About Ditching Windows Vista Attracts Heaps of Sympathy
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 08:35:11 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Why I downgraded from Vista to XP

,----[ Quote ]
| In the meantime, we continue to experiment with various desktop options here
| at Freeform Dynamics, and those looking at alternatives may be interested a
| post from my colleague Jon Collins entitled Why
| I’ve replaced Vista with Linux.
|      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/12/freeformdynamics_vista_downgrade/

124 comments, which is extremely unusual for The Register.

Related:

Windows Vista: Sold but not deployed

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Windows-Vista-Sold-but-not-deployed/0,130061733,339284495,00.htm

,----[ Quote ]
|   From:        "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx>
|   Newsgroups:   comp.os.linux.advocacy
|   Subject:      Re: Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 (etch) released
|   Date:         Sun, 08 Apr 2007 17:09:54 +0100
|
| > http://www.debian.org/News/2007/20070408
|
| Here's some interesting comparisons between Debian Etch and Vista:
|
| Project Life-cycle:
|  . Debian - 1.75 years (Etch)
|  . Vista  - 5.50 years
|
| Supported Architectures:
|  . Debian - Sparc, Alpha, PowerPC, i386, ia64, PA-RISC, MIPS, ARM, IBM
|             S/390, AMD64 and Intel EM64T. (Older custom versions for the
|             Motorola MC68K series)
|  . Vista  - Technically ... none, since it doesn't really work.
|
| Available Desktop Environments / Window Managers:
|  . Debian - 3D-Desktop, 4dwm, 5Dwm, 9wm, aewm, AfterStep, amiwm,
|             Blackbox, Compiz/Beryl, CTWM, dwm, EDE (Equinox),
|             Enlightenment, EvilPoison, evilwm, Fluxbox, foXdesktop,
|             FVWM, FVWM95, FVWM-Crystal, Gnome, hackedbox, HaZe, IceWM,
|             Ion, JD4X (Java Desktop), JWM, Kahakai, KDE, KWin, Larswm,
|             Luminocity, LWM, Matchbox, Metacity, Metisse, MWM (Motif),
|             OLWM/OLVWM, Openbox, Orion, Oroborus, PekWM, PLWM, PWM,
|             Qvwm, ratpoison, ROX, Sawfish, Scwm, Stumpwm, swm, The GREAT
|             Desktop, TrsWM, twm, UDE, uwm, Waimea, WindowLab, Window
|             Maker, wm2, WMI, wmii, XD640, XFCE, Xfwm, XPde, XPwm, XWEM
| . Vista   - Aero
|
| Price:
|  . Debian -   £0.00
|  . Vista  - £187.48 (Home Premium - a.k.a. The "real" version) [Amazon]
|
| License:
|  . Debian - Mainly GPL/LGPL. Full sources available at no cost.
|  . Vista  - Proprietary. SDKs only. (Limited Sources available to select
|             partners and government agencies).
|
| Role/Deployment:
|  . Debian - Server, Desktop, Media Centre, Office, Cluster /
|             Supercomputing, Any Purpose.
|  . Vista  - Experimental Desktop, Toy, Practical Joke.

|              in the open source world. Debian is traditionally a
|              distribution of developers that connect with each other and
|              with users via email or IRC. Developers respond to bug
|              reports promptly. Several mailing lists in all supported
|              languages have high traffic and people that like to help.
|              If you're in a hurry, you can join the #debian IRC channel
|              on the freenode network. You can even pay for support if
|              you want to; debian.org has a list of companies that will
|              take your money and answer your questions.
|
|              Debian is the most truly community-driven distribution,
|              proud of its GNU name. It supports lots of platforms, and
|              its software quality assurance is excellent. Security flaws
|              are fixed in the Etch repositories quickly. With mirrors
|              all around the world, installation of new packages is
|              quick. Even if any single Linux company disappears, Debian
|              will remain intact -- as my desktop OS."
|               - http://tinyurl.com/yqg3cq (newsforge.com)
|
|  . Vista  -  "I found [Vista] to be a dangerously unstable operating
|               system, which has caused me to lose data ... unfortunately
> [...]
`----

Prediction: Linux will Eat Microsoft on Most Desktops

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, compare that to a $500.00 desktop running Linux and OpenSource
| applicaitons. That would be about $50,000. The difference? Two or three
| employees, a huge bonus, a couple of vehicles, whatever. Not small.
`----

http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2007/12/prediction_linux_will_eat_micr.php

Ubuntu Linux vs Windows Vista: The Desktop Battle

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://polishlinux.org/linux/ubuntu/ubuntu-linux-vs-windows-vista-the-desktop-battle/

| Financial Times Deutschland on Monday.

| Lenovo.

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=9579

Ugly view mars Windows Vista birthday

,----[ Quote ]
| According to latest data from NPD, Microsoft is shipping fewer boxed copies
| of Windows Vista than it did Windows XP at the same point in the operating
| systems' lifecycles.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/11/30/vista_birthday/

The Vista Death Watch

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has extended the life of Windows XP because Vista has simply not
| shown any life in the market. We have to begin to ask ourselves if we are
| really looking at Windows Me/2007, destined to be a disdained flop. By all
| estimates the number of Vista installations hovers around the number of Macs
| in use.
|
| How did this happen? And what’s going to happen next? Does Microsoft have a
| Plan B? A number of possibilities come to mind, and these things must be
| considered by the company itself.
`----

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2209837,00.asp?kc=PCRSS03079TX1K0000584

Lenovo offers downgrade from Windows Vista to Windows XP

,----[ Quote ]
| My colleague Stian just sent me this interesting link regarding my
| experiences with Windows Vista. Since I assume the link will NOT have the
| visual appearence it has right now for very many more hours (days) I've
| created a screenshot of how it looked when I went into the site.
`----

http://jaxed.org/lenovo-offers-downgrade-from-windows-vista-to-windows-xp.blog

Windows Vista kicked out of Olympics PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's latest version of Windows is too risky to implement for the
| important computers managing the 2008 Olympic summer games in Beijing, said
| the event's computer supplier and sponsor Lenovo.
`----

http://www.electronista.com/articles/07/08/08/no.vista.on.olympic.pcs/

DSG continues retailer woes

,----[ Quote ]
| DSG, the company formerly known as Dixons, became the latest British retailer
| to report a drop in profits for the summer months today. But it wasn’t all
| down to the rotten weather – this time it was also Microsoft’s fault.
`----

http://www.managementtoday.co.uk/newsalerts/article/748756/dsg-continues-retailer-woes/

Dell casts doubts on Vista

,----[ Quote ]