[News] Live Linux DVD Spreads Free Content, Censorship Combated Online

  • Subject: [News] Live Linux DVD Spreads Free Content, Censorship Combated Online
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 23:53:31 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Creative Commons Releases Free Content/Software with LiveContent DVD

,----[ Quote ]
| The Creative Commons recently released LiveContent 2.0 a Free Live DVD. We
| checked it out and wanted to give you an overview of what it’s all about.
| Basically, it’s a Fedora Live DVD with free and open source content that
| comes loaded with Creative Commons’ (CC) licensed material. CC allows
| creators like artists, scientists, authors, etc. to share their works with
| the world so that you can reuse and remix this work legally.
`----

http://www.fanaticattack.com/2008/creative-commons-releases-free-contentsoftware-with-livecontent-dvd.html

Online demonstration against internet censureship

,----[ Quote ]
| Reporters Without Borders is calling for an online demonstration against
| internet censureship tomorrow, Wednesday 12 March, which it calls the
| first "international day for freedom of speech on the internet". Visitors to
| the organization's web site can make a 24-hour virtual protest on the Square
| of Heavenly Peace in Peking against censorship of the World Wide Web. They
| can create their own virtual figure there and take part in one of the nine
| online demonstrations. Flash animated online banners can be obtained and be
| incorporated into their own web sites.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/104866/from/rss09

One could look at these as Linux, Creative Commons and the Open Internet
against exploitation, unjust sovereignty. Where would the world be with just
Windows, patents, closed networks (no Internet) and copyrights?

Related:

Australia set to give the go-ahead for Creative Commons licensing

,----[ Quote ]
| Researchers at Queensland will shortly publish a study on the pricing of
| public sector information which is expected to set out the case for making
| all government data free. We will watch with interest. In the meantime, we
| think the UK government could usefully copy one set of Australian ideas: a
| policy review in 2002 which said that the government should not try to charge
| for data where to do so is not cost-effective, would be inconsistent with
| policy objectives or would unduly stifle competition and innovation. Bonza!
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/feb/14/freeourdata.intellectualproperty

The Creative Commons CC0 project

,----[ Quote ]
| CC0[http://creativecommons.org/projects/cczero] is a Creative Commons
| project designed to promote and protect the public domain by 1) enabling
| authors to easily waive their copyrights in particular works and to
| communicate that waiver to others, and 2) providing a means by which
| any person can assert that there are no copyrights in a particular work,
| in a way that allows others to judge the reliability of that assertion.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/265351/

Creative Commons Artist Spotlight: Convey

,----[ Quote ]
| Every week, we will introduce our readers to emerging musical artists who
| choose to release their work under Creative Commons licenses.
`----

http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/09/12/creative-commons-artist-spotlight-convey/

Fedora and Creative Commons Team Up To Deliver LiveContent Distribution

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat and Creative Commons have said that Fedora 7 will serve as the
| platform for Creative Commons LiveContent CD, an initiative to showcase free,
| open source software and dynamic, Creative Commons-licensed multimedia
| content.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/linux/11085/fedora-creative-commons-team-deliver-livecontent-distribution

[Creative Commons in Support of] GPLv3!

,----[ Quote ]
| Note that Creative Commons has always recommended the GPL and other
| free software licenses for software. We look forward to transitioning
| software we create to GPLv3.

Creative Commons Sponsored Software ccHost Release

,----[ Quote ]
| These features most notably show up and are tested in Creative Commons'
| project, ccMixter (www.ccmixter.org), a popular on-line social network
| service that supports legal music sharing and remixing.
`----

http://newsvac.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=07/03/01/035244

Handling of Microsoft's copyleft violation

,----[ Quote ]
| A member of the Microsoft packaged software team lifting one of my
| images is definitely a case where the infringing party should have
| known better, as the company routinely takes action to protect its
| own IP.
`----

http://www.niallkennedy.com/blog/archives/2006/12/microsoft-copyright-photograph.html

Newsmaker:  Joi Ito a man of many hats