[News] Sun Promotes Open Source Software/Ideals, MacForge Grows to 50,000 OSS Projects

  • Subject: [News] Sun Promotes Open Source Software/Ideals, MacForge Grows to 50,000 OSS Projects
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 23:34:01 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Q & A from Sun's Worldwide Education and Research Conference

,----[ Quote ]
| Scott McNealy: I think the best way to ward it off is to get open source that
| has an indemnification strategy behind it. We [at Sun] work very hard and
| spend a lot of money before we open source code. We know who the mommy, the
| daddy is of every line of code -- we have the kennel papers! We have prior
| art, we have a complete dossier on every line of code that we write, so that
| when we end up in a court of law in front of a judge we can say, "No, we
| didn't rip that off, here's the prior art, here's who wrote it..." And then
| we also have the ability, if NetApp comes at us we can go back at them with
| $14K. It didn't take us long to basically say defensively, "Every one of your
| products steps on a big chunk of our IP." And that will hopefully warn the
| next troll that maybe they'd better not come after us. And we have 5.5
| billion dollars of cash in the bank, if a peer troll comes after us. People
| can safely share around our open source communities, knowing that there are
| no WTO infractions, and all the rest of it.
`----

http://campustechnology.com/articles/59744/

MacForge.net now has over 50,000 Mac open source projects

,----[ Quote ]
| ...MacForge Mac open source project index now has over 50,000 projects. In
| 2005, MacForge.net was created for not only the experienced open source user,
| but to introduce the Mac technical community to the array of projects
| available
`----

http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/macforgenet_now_has_over_50000_mac_open_source_projects/

Recent:

MySQL CEO: it's tough for private open source firms

,----[ Quote ]

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2008/03/mysql_ceo_its_t.html