[News] MySQL Carries on Expanding Under Sun's Wing, Highlighting FOSS Momentum

  • Subject: [News] MySQL Carries on Expanding Under Sun's Wing, Highlighting FOSS Momentum
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 15:58:49 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Wgtn firm to power Democrats' website

,----[ Quote ]
| SilverStripe makes money supporting its CMS and providing consultancy for it,
| says Magnusson. “MySQL [an open-source database management system] has sales
| people in every country,” Magnusson explains...
`----

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4433566a28.html

Open-source MySQL ready for enterprise use--local partner

,----[ Quote ]
| The end-user pays no license fee and instead pays for support and other
| services from partners like Touch Solutions.
|
| Sun Microsystems, meanwhile, recently announced its acquisition of MySQL for
| $1 billion, saying that the open-source database is ready for widespread
| enterprise adoption.
`----

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/infotech/view/20080310-123900/Open-source-MySQL-ready-for-enterprise-use--local-partner

MySQL Co-Founder: Success = Humility + Passion (Not Exit Strategy)

,----[ Quote ]
| Axmark started the work in 1989 in Helsinki, Finland, and was looking for an
| open source database that didn't exist, so they decided to create one, maybe
| scratch out a little cash along the way. It wasn't until 2001 that the
| venture world got involved in MySQL. Axmark hated all of the startup
| drudgery, the contracts that took him weeks to get to because they were
| laborious and distracting.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/03/mysql_cofounder.html

‘Software development business hinges on collaboration’

,----[ Quote ]
| A proponent of FOSS or Free Open Source Software Movement, Green said, “We
| are witness to a changing consumer behaviour and where content generated by
| people is driving the growth of Web 2.0. And software begins and ends with
| developers.”
`----

http://sify.com/finance/fullstory.php?id=14619208

It's like a dam bursting. Databases are already becoming a commodity, unless
some lock-in stands in the way -- for now.

Recent:

MySQL CEO: it's tough for private open source firms

,----[ Quote ]
| "As soon as the deal closed we immediately secured a big deal with a major
| European national police agency," said Mickos, now SVP database products at
| Sun. "Key to them choosing MySQL was that we are now part of a much larger
| public corporation. The deal wouldn't have happened when we were private."
|
| [...]
|
| Downloads of the firm's free, open source database have accelerated too, from
| around 50,000 a day before the deal was announced to around 60,000 per day
| now - 67,000 copies were downloaded on Monday.

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2008/03/mysql_ceo_its_t.html

Can Ballmer pilot Microsoft through a changed tech course?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/tech-bottom-line/archives/2008/02/microsoft_open.html