[News] Reviews of the New Beta of Firefox 3, Also on GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] Reviews of the New Beta of Firefox 3, Also on GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 15:48:00 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Firefox 3 (beta) On Ubuntu - Test Drive

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course it's a beta release, so you'd have to be really dumb to expect it
| to work properly! Beta software is meant to have bugs. Ideally they should be
| squashed before the software is made available to the general public.
|
| Whether I'll keep playing around with this version or revert to the older one
| is something I'm not 100% sure about just yet.. We'll see
`----

http://www.mneylon.com/blog/archives/2008/03/11/firefox-3-beta-on-ubuntu-test-drive/

Introducing Ubuntu's Default Web Browser, Firefox 3.0

,----[ Quote ]
| If you've used Firefox before, you'll want to know how version 3.0 differs
| from 2.0.
|
| It's significantly faster, having undergone some real architectural changes.
| The back end now uses a transactional database, too. What does that mean for
| you? It means no data loss to passwords, bookmarks, etc. if an application
| crash or power outage occurs. Memory use is also down, with the browser's
| memory leaks having been largely plugged. You can now leave Firefox on for
| longer without slowing your system down.
| * Reliability: A user’s bookmarks, history, cookies, and preferences are now
| stored in a transactionally secure database format which will prevent data
| loss even if their system crashes.
| * Speed: Major architectural changes put foundations in place for major
| performance tuning which have resulted in speed increases in Beta 1, and will
| show further gains in future Beta releases.
| * Memory usage: Over 300 individual memory leaks have been plugged, and a new
| XPCOM cycle collector completely eliminates many more. Developers are
| continuing to work on optimizing memory use and reducing fragmentation.
`----

http://www.ibeentoubuntu.com/2008/03/introducing-ubuntus-default-web-browser.html

Equal opportunity open source

,----[ Quote ]
| See that? Firefox is localized into a wide range of languages, which is
| great. But what I appreciate even more is that it treats Windows, Mac OS X,
| and Linux as peers. In Microsoft's world, software runs solely or best on
| Microsoft's operating system, database, etc. Given the chance, most
| proprietary software companies behave like this.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9890682-16.html

Firefox 3 Beta 4 review

,----[ Quote ]
| Firefox 3 Beta 4 is about to be released (later today or tomorrow), as the
| twelfth milestone, in what already is the longest development time for a
| Firefox version since the initial Firefox 1.0 back in 2004.
|
| Fortunately, Mozilla has not been shy to set as many milestones as needed,
| and given the many new features and tweaks Firefox 3 introduces, it seems
| anything but sensible, specially considering it’s not only about Firefox but
| Gecko, the web page rendering engine and the Mozilla platform as a whole
| which affects the many products based on it.
`----

http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2008/03/firefox-3-beta-4-review/

Firefox 3 Beta 4 is Here!

http://cybernetnews.com/2008/03/10/firefox-3-beta-4-is-here/

Related:

Firefox 3 Beta 4 is 5x faster than IE7, 3x faster than FF2

,----[ Quote ]
| The almost-but-not-quite-final beta of Firefox 3 (FF3 beta 4) is now
| available for download. The most noticeable improvement is speed. In some
| tests, it’s three times faster than Firefox 2 (meaning the test completes in
| 1/3 the time), and a whopping five times faster than IE 7...
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/?p=548

Firefox 3 Beta 5 schedule

,----[ Quote ]
| At today’s Firefox 3 / Gecko 1.9 meeting the development team decided that a
| fifth beta milestone would be required based on the number of blockers
| remaining. This additional beta will ensure that changes which may affect
| website compatibility and changes which affect the user experience will get
| exposure to a wider audience for feedback and regression testing.
`----

http://developer.mozilla.org/devnews/index.php/2008/03/04/firefox-3-beta-5-schedule/

Firefox 3.0 Beta 2 Is A Win For Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla has released the latest beta of Firefox 3 today, and the Linux
| efforts behind it are starting to show even more. This release, being a beta,
| is surprisingly stable. Here’s the killer that makes this beta release
| amazing: true GTK support.
`----

http://fosswire.com/2007/12/20/firefox-30-beta-2-is-a-win-for-linux/

Firefox 3: rocking on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| A few people have been noticing how good our support on Linux has gotten
| during the Firefox 3 development cycle and I thought I would post to try and
| point out some of the good stuff that we have coming down the pipe.
`----

http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=325

Personas from Mozilla Labs give Firefox a sleek coat

,----[ Quote ]
| I probably won't use Personas much myself since I greatly prefer the
| unadulterated GTK look in Firefox 3, but the addon is very intriguing from a
| technical standpoint. The way that Personas takes Firefox's Internet
| capabilities and leverages theme to bring dynamic content to the Firefox
| chrome layer is very creative and it reflects a lot of possibilities that I
| had never previously considered.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2007/12/16/personas-from-mozilla-labs-gives-firefox-a-sleek-coat

Update on the Firefox 3 Linux Theme