Re: [News] [Rival] More Evidence of Microsoft Windows + Office as a 'Standard' in OOXML

____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 11 March 2008 14:54 : \____

> Jesper Lund Stocholm <jls2008@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
>>
>>> Jesper Lund Stocholm <jls2008@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> So presumably, somewhere else in the spec, is a definition of what PII
>>> actually means?
>>
>> There is no need for a formal specification of Personally Identifiable
>> Information. Also - it would be virtually impossible to make on since each
>> implementation will have its different ways of using PII. One application
>> could, as in the example, insert the person's name in comments/revisions
>> thereby inserting PII in the document. Another application might not
>> include this information. One application might implement custom fields
>> which use the initials of the document creator - another application might
>> not.
>>

> Of course there's a need - the point of OOXML is to be a standard.  If
> there is no common definition o fPII, then there is absolutely no way of
> multiple implementations being remotely compatible.
>
> The examples you give illustrate this point rather well.
>
> You seem confused about the role of standards here...

A standard, as far as I know, should be either self-contained or
self-sufficient through reuse (reference) to existing standards it builds
upon. OOXML does none of this (almost). It's just a dump of Microsoft's way of
doing things (legacy), e.g. encoing dates (which is buggy by the way) and many
other inelegant things that only Microsoft understands. OOXML is derived from
source code, not existing standards. It is a mockery to ISO, which isn't the
same ISO that used to exist (the core fled in the face of Microsoft's sheer
corruption -- a topic which I realise Jesper consistently escapes and avoids
commenting on).

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Free the mind, the source will follow"
 15:20:04 up 47 days,  1:14,  4 users,  load average: 0.94, 1.09, 1.49