[News] H-P Makes Small GNU/Linux Announcement

HP introduces new mid-market servers

| The remaining item in the HP announcement is new Linux capability for
| mid-market server and cluster environments in the HP Inside Control
| Environment for Linux (ICE-Linux) management tool.
`----

http://www.echannelline.com/usa/story.cfm?item=23100

Days ago:

HP Media Vault 2100 Linux Server Reviewed: One Kick-Ass Little Penguin

,----[ Quote ]
| In the end, this product isn't just another NAS, but a bold statement that HP
| is making, that it doesn't have to be saddled by the rough riders of Redmond
| when it can build (license?) its own practically identical box at a lower
| cost. Now I know that there are some things that you can only do with a
| PC-like server running a full OS, but honestly, what are they? I mean, do
| most people, even die-hard server-needers, give a crap? I want to know from
| you folks: Why bother with Windows Home Server when the Linux-based
| alternatives are on the surface equally friendly, equally powerful and—oh
| yeah—half the cost?
`----

http://gizmodo.com/373711/hp-media-vault-2100-linux-server-reviewed-one-kick+ass-little-penguin

Recent:

HP preps sexy new ‘Eee PC killer'

,----[ Quote ]
| Now HP is coming to the party, and it's dressed to steal all the attention
| away from Asus. There's no doubt that the Compaq 2133 (which distinctly needs
| a catchy consumer-friendly brand name rather than Yet Another Model Number)
| will be aimed at a more professional slice of the consumer and perhaps even
| business market when it lands in the US sometime in April.
|
| [...]
|
| Which will it be? This is where things get interesting, because HP's advance
| spec sheet notes the Compaq 2133 will be offered with a choice of Windows
| Vista and Linux. There's no word on which flavour of the Penguin OS gets the
| gong, but on its business PC line HP already supports Asianux, Debian,
| Mandriva, Novell SUSE and Red Hat.
`----

http://apcmag.com/8342/hp_preps_eee_pc_killer

HP's Linux sub-notebook spied on web

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/02/19/hp_compaq_2133_spied/

HP's new OmniBook?

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course, the Compaq 2133 will be 15 years better than the OmniBook, with
| USB support, Wi-Fi, built-in webcam and other goodies. Sadly, the OS probably
| won't execute in ROM and the mouse probably won't pop out. Sadder still is
| that the Compaq 2133 is rumored to come with either Windows Vista or Linux,
| not Windows XP. Windows Vista is only slightly better than the OmniBook's
| Windows 3.1. Hopefully HP will offer a good flavor of Linux.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/hps_new_omnibook

Related:

The Penguin comes in from the cold

,----[ Quote ]
| In fact, three months ago, Hewlett-Packard and Red Hat launched a
| pre-installed Linux desktop, the HP Compaq dx2250, in Australia.
|
| Aimed at small to medium businesses, the dx2250 comes pre-loaded with the Red
| Hat Enterprise Linux 5 desktop operating system.
|
| The desktop comes in myriad forms including AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual-core, AMD
| Athlon 64 and AMD Sempron processors, and prices start at $600.
|
| The machine is sold through HP's reseller network and Red Hat offers
| technical support.
`----

http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,22822516-24169,00.html

HP To Expand Effort On Linux PCs