[News] Adobe Officially Joins the GNU/Linux World

Adobe Joins Linux Foundation with Focus on Linux for Web 2.0 Applications

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux Foundation (LF), the nonprofit organization dedicated to
| accelerating the growth of Linux, today announced that Adobe Systems
| Incorporated is joining the Foundation. Adobe is joining the LF to
| collaborate on the advancement of Linux as a leading platform for rich
| Internet applications (RIA) and Web 2.0 technologies.
`----

http://linux-foundation.org/weblogs/press/2008/03/30/adobe-joins-linux-foundation-with-focus-on-linux-for-web-20-applications/

Maybe Adobe can finally learn a few things (examples below).

Recent:

Adobe Pushes DRM for Flash

,----[ Quote ]
| Now Adobe, which controls Flash and Flash Video, is trying to change that
| with the introduction of DRM restrictions in version 9 of its Flash Player
| and version 3 of its Flash Media Server software. Instead of an ordinary web
| download, these programs can use a proprietary, secret Adobe protocol to talk
| to each other, encrypting the communication and locking out non-Adobe
| software players and video tools. We imagine that Adobe has no illusions that
| this will stop copyright infringement -- any more than dozens of other DRM
| systems have done so -- but the introduction of encryption does give Adobe
| and its customers a powerful new legal weapon against competitors and
| ordinary users through the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
`----

http://www.gnashdev.org/?q=node/51

Don't Hold Your Breath Waiting for AIR's "Linux Support"

,----[ Quote ]
| Given that Adobe’s evangelists have a very difficult time telling the truth
| about which platforms Adobe actually supports (particularly pernicious with
| regard to Flash; see Uh, Thanks for the “Linux” Support for one example),
| does anyone really think that AIR will run on anything more exotic than
| 32-bit x86 GNU/Linux? Set aside the fact that, as much as Ted’s quote may
| make you think that AIR runs on “Linux” right now, it sounds like no one
| outside of Adobe will see that binary blob until later this year.
|
| When I think about cross-platform support, I think about the first time I
| sent e-mail on the Internet via a FidoNet gateway accessed through a PC
| bulletin board from my Commodore 128 over modem-to-modem dialup in the very
| early ’90s.
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2008/03/dont_hold_your_breath_waiting.html

Related:

Flashy 32bit diehards

,----[ Quote ]
| At least Mr. Melanson talks to us from time to time, but his apparent policy
| of not discussing 64bit at all is such a denial mode that makes us think
| what's going on inside Adobe's corporate mind (as I believe he would like to
| be able to discuss it but his Management prevents him from doing so).
`----

http://taupter.blogspot.com/2007/08/flashy-32bit-diehards.html

For Adobe, a tough lesson in (open-source) diplomacy

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.business2.com/utilitybelt/2007/08/for-adobe-a-tou.html