Re: [News] [Rival] Jack 'Microsoft' Schofield: "Hate America? Use open source!"

Matt <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> Mark Kent wrote:
>
>> amusingly, I think that some of the ultra-right were genuinely quite
>> surprised to find out that the US only contributed to 40% of the D-Day
>> landing armies ("we saved your a**" - err, not quite), and negligible
>> amounts of sea power.
>
> I didn't know that.
>
> So by a little simple arithmetic we can see that you Brits saved our
> Yankee asses ... thanks!  :-)

Well, joking aside, I think that everyone, every single person, who
stood up to the Nazi threat, did the world a major favour.  If you look
at the numbers, you'll see that the Russians suffered by far the most
casualties of any of the participants, and you'll also see that the US
got off relatively lightly compared with eg., Czechoslovakia, which
proportionately had a terrible time.  Still, being injured or dead is a
rather personal thing, not much affected by what kind of uniform was
being worn at the time.

>> You see, they believed the hollywood version :-)

Hehe...  the main proportions were:  UK:  40%, Canada 20%, US 40% in
nice round numbers, for the initial invasion.  There was also
involvement from a great number of other countries, although not in the
same numbers.

If you look at the RAF numbers for the Battle of Britain, a great many
pilots were Anzacs, Canadians, Poles, Czechs, South Africans.  There
were even a couple of yanks in the RAF, presumably those who were not
happy about the position their government was taking at the time.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |