Re: [News] [SOT] Lessig Calls for Government Not to Be Run by Corporations, Shareholders

Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> * Craig Gullixson peremptorily fired off this memo:
>
>> That Microsoft is spending so much effort in their loathsome attempt
>> to corrupt the standardization process for OOXML may indicate that the
>> size of the market that cares about standards, for whatever reason,
>> may be significant.
>>
>> I am surely not the only developer that has been following the
>> evolution of Linux with interest and believes that it could play
>> and important role in future projects.  However, the fraction of
>> the Linux development community that espouses the "standards,
>> we don't need no stinkin standards" sentiment does not help one
>> such as myself to get more interested and excited about using
>> Linux for upcomming development projects.
>
> Well, you've wandered into a bar full of drunks, so consider that.

Well, that's a little unfair.  He's walked into a world full of
disruptive pressures, including the deep abuse of standards processes by
Microsoft, and a world where the "source" is a far better replacement
for a state-machine or format definition than some kind of tortured,
international, English (which will then be translated into French and
Spanish, no doubt losing even more en route).

It's hard for people to cope when the world is changing, and I think
Craig was hoping to hold onto something he was familiar with, namely the
legacy standards processes, however, they are so broken, so and corrupt
as to have become essentially worthless.  The new world is running on
rapidly developed source code, and we all need to recognise this.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |