[News] GPL-Licenced Java Project and Other Open Source Project Highlighted

  • Subject: [News] GPL-Licenced Java Project and Other Open Source Project Highlighted
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 16:30:49 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
ProGuard Java Optimizer and Obfuscator in Version 4.2

,----[ Quote ]
| It is an open source available, Java-based Obfuscating tool. ProGuard is
| distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL), version
| 2, as published by the Free Software Foundation (FSF). The new version is
| primarily a bug fix release.
`----

http://www.sda-india.com/sda_india/psecom,id,22,site_layout,sdaindia,news,23239,p,0.html

Laying the Groundwork for OS Systems Management

,----[ Quote ]
| The systems management space has been dominated by proprietary vendors like
| IBM Tivoli and HP OpenView for years, though in recent years open source
| upstarts are trying to make a dent.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/software/article.php/3736871/Laying+the+Groundwork+for+OS+Systems+Management.htm

OS Commerce: The True Cost of Free Carts

,----[ Quote ]
| A free, open source shopping cart may sound really attractive in these
| economic times, but how free is free? It's not a trick question. If you add
| in the cost of the technical degree required by some free, open source carts,
| or technical support to get others to work, as well as the value of your own
| labor and the supporting services needed, your free shopping cart may not
| really be free at all.
`----

http://www.ecommerce-guide.com/solutions/building/article.php/3736936

Related:

How to use open source as a power marketing tool

,----[ Quote ]
| There are a number of ways traditional software vendors can participate
| in the open source software community. They circulate around open
| source licenses, such as the GNU General Public License (GPL), and
| how to leverage open source software as a marketing tool.
|
| [...]
|
| Traditional software vendors need to recognize the shift taking place
| is driven not only by successful open source projects, but also by the
| rapid and broad adoption of open source in the customer marketplace. The
| numbers behind open source adoption are compelling. Linux in both the
| United States and Asia is the fastest growing operating system ever. As
| measured by hostnames, Netcraft reports that the Internet has grown 26.1
| percent over the past 12 months, over 67 percent of it served up by open
| source Apache servers.
`----

http://management.itmanagersjournal.com/management/04/06/24/2057239.shtml

So what is open source code?