[News] KDE Plasma and Compiz Fusion Have Screenlets and Plasmoids Explored

  • Subject: [News] KDE Plasma and Compiz Fusion Have Screenlets and Plasmoids Explored
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 16:12:18 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
KDE’s Plasma Project aims to find out who their users really are

,----[ Quote ]
| Plasma is KDE’s way of making the ‘desktop’ a better user experience by
| letting users decide what ’shape’ it is. I think that KDE wants to empower
| its users by making the panel, the desktop and other components customizable
| in so many ways and yet make them work together seamlessly. The concept is
| quite different from the usual desktop because you will have plasmoids and
| stuff which you can tweak so that they will behave according to what you
| prefer.
`----

http://www.newlinuxuser.com/kdes-plasma-project-aims-to-find-out-who-their-users-really-are/

Compiz Fusion Community News for 25th March 2008: Webgits, Curved Expo,
Wallpaper Re-Write!

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, whise (The main developer of screenlets) has added functionality to the
| main screenlets branch which allows you to use web-based HTML widgets and
| gadgets as screenlets! Unfortunately, I’m not able to grab screenshots, but
| it allows you to grab the widget’s code location from Google Gadgets, Spring
| Widgets, WidgetBox and Yourminis Widgets and display that web widget as a
| screenlet. Darknesssssskrad makes a great video tutorial on how to grab a
| widget from the web and turn it into a screenlet
`----

http://smspillaz.wordpress.com/2008/03/27/compiz-fusion-community-news-for-25th-march-2008-webgits-curved-expo-wallpaper-re-write/

Lots more there, including videos. Leopard and Vista should blush.

Related:

[Compiz Fusion] Freewins

,----[ Quote ]
| Freewins is quite a simple plugin, just get some cursor movement events and
| rotate and scale some windows around. As you may recall, I added features
| like scaling, shaping and key-movement a while back. The problem with
| freewins was that it tells compiz to redraw the entire screen every single
| time a window is rotated and the screen needs to be updated. Thing is, that
| we don’t  need to update the whole screen - usually only a little bit has
| changed, like a carat blinking on your terminal. Updating parts of the screen
| has been around in compiz for a while, but freewins hasn’t made use of it
| until now.
|
| Using some somewhat complicated mathematics and OpenGL code, I’ve managed to
| get Freewins to update only the necessary areas of the screen by tracking 4
| points in 3D, projecting them into 2D and then drawing a box based on those
| points. The resulting box fully covers the window while transformed in any
| way and only the window is refreshed, not the whole screen.
`----

http://smspillaz.wordpress.com/2008/03/20/freewins/

Five Compiz features to boost Linux productivity

,----[ Quote ]
| The cube is perhaps the most hyped feature of the 3D desktop. And,
| surprisingly, I found that once you actually start using it Cube is actually
| quite useful, and not just flashy. When cube is enabled you can use the
| Ctrl-Alt key combination together with mouse to rotate the cube and display
| all the desktops you have active. It is remarkably easy to use and actually
| makes it easier to switch through desktops rapidly.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2006

Shelf Plugin preview

,----[ Quote ]
| I’ve been working on a new Compiz Fusion plugin currently known as Shelf (it
| was named miniwin2 for a brief period, more on this further down). This is a
| fairly straight forward idea, and I’m doing this as a bounty for Canonical.
`----

http://dev.compiz-fusion.org/~kristian/2007/12/12/shelf-plugin-preview/

How Beryl/XGL and Deskbar simplified my life

,----[ Quote ]
| I removed the standard Gnome Window List in favor of
| Beryl's Scale plugin. Beryl's Scale functionality
| resembles OSX's Expose functionality. Because the Scale
| plugin displays all the windows currently open and
| unminimized at a keypress, I can quickly find the
| window I want visually and select it either with
| the mouse or with the arrow keys.
`----

http://eric.themoritzfamily.com/2006/10/25/how-berylxgl-and-deskbar-simplified-my-life/
http://tinyurl.com/u2g3d